Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: color filling partical board plaques

color filling partical board plaques

Can someone tell me if particale board plaques can be color filled and if so what is the best way to do this?
    Thanks to all

George,
    You can color fill those plaques but they are covered with vinyl and you don't want to laser vinyl. If you do it anyway, you can either mask and fill with spray or brush on acrylic paint.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    George,
    You can color fill those plaques but they are covered with vinyl and you don't want to laser vinyl. If you do it anyway, you can either mask and fill with spray or brush on acrylic paint.

Gary

One of my favorite plaques is JDS Hi-Gloss Mahoghany, so I went back to the catalog to see if is said laserable, nope not laserable.

I've been doing these for awhile, about 20 a month will a gold fill, they look great. Sooooo... is this something I should avoid?

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Marty

There is no reason not to do them. It's just particle board under the veneer.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

That's good they are a nice looking plaque that is reasonably priced.

Thanks!
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Marty

There is no reason not to do them. It's just particle board under the veneer.
    IF they are veneer then it's ok but I haven't seen a particle board plaque that wasn't covered with vinyl - definately NOT ok to laser.

Gary

Partical Board Plaques

Gary,

Why are plain particle board plaques not okay to laser? I've not read or heard that they were on the "Not To Laser" list like PVC.

I don't do particle board plaques anyway - as I like to stick with the real thing; but in case I needed to go a little cheaper for a customer.

Acrylic paints or even lithochrome (expensive) are great for filling in. LaserBits sells Fill Paint as well. I've not had the best luck with it as I have had with good acrylic paint.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Swift View Post
    Why are plain particle board plaques not okay to laser? I've not read or heard that they were on the "Not To Laser" list like PVC.
    If you mean lumber yard particle board cut into plaques then there is no problem. If you mean the cheap particle board plaques that have "simulated wood grain", then they are covered with PVC. It's not the plaque, it's the covering.

I wouldn't want to breathe the fumes from particle board, or mdf for that matter, but neither one are much worse than plain wood, it's just the adhesive that makes them a bit nastier than wood.

Gary

Particle board really says to the recipient: You aren't worth real wood in your award, we'll give you mashed sawdust instead. The first time you drop it, you will really see what we thought of you!

Mark (no particle board in 35 years... not one.)
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Gary

I'm surprised you haven't tried these HGM plaques (I sold over 1000 last year) or, for that matter, the piano finished plaques which I think are also particle board.

Get a sample or two of the HGM's they are fantastic.

I went for 10 years without selling the vinyl covered particle board then it came down to keeping a good school account or losing them.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-03-2010 at 1:11 PM. Reason: add'l
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund View Post
    Particle board really says to the recipient: You aren't worth real wood in your award, we'll give you mashed sawdust instead. The first time you drop it, you will really see what we thought of you!

Mark (no particle board in 35 years... not one.)
    Then the same could be said for crystal and acrylic.

I guess then a dented wood plaque or broken crystal would make them
    feel better when the drop it. The nerve to drop a plaque I labored over!

The problem I'm sure we all face, is that not everyone has budget for
    full wood plaques, crystal or silver plated cups. I have made some very nice awards from composites
    and as Mike said the HGM from JDS is really nice. I've slacked back on those because of availabilty issues.

I have a few clients that feel that way about plates, "these aren't engraved, they are just painted"
    Sometimes it's all about presieved value and the presentation. I'm sure many many of the recognitions never
    make it to a wall, but live their life in a closet, basement or attic

Marty
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

The simulated wood and marble plaques that JDS sells is a polyethylene foil, not a vinyl. They stated on the phone that their marble-look plaques are not laserable because the foil tends to bubble and can lose its adhesion along the edge of the engraved areas.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

We wouldn't be able to stay in business with out particle board plaques. I'd say 50% of our plaque business is particle board plaques.

Hardwood plaque is somewhere in the $6-10 neighborhood typically. Another $6-8 for a nice plate. That's roughly $15. Turning around and selling that for $40-50 results in no profit. I'd say I spend close to 15-30 minutes with a walk in customer on a plaque. Although it might only be a $50 plaque, it means a lot to them and they take up A LOT of time. Once they finally leave, it takes another 20 minutes to actually sit down, engrave, and assemble the plaque. All said and done, although it only cost me $15 for the plaque, I spent almost an hour of time on the job.

Again, if I only sold hardwood, I'd be out of business. I charge $40-50 for a HGM or laminate plaque with a brass coated steel plate with a custom engraved boarder. My total cost is in the $5 neighborhood. At that cost structure, it is worth dealing with walk-ins.

I have to be honest, I'm surprised so many people do color filling. I honestly believe it is one of the least cost effective methods of doing a wood plaque. I do like the look of them, but I don't see how it's cost effective unless you dramatically increase the engraving price. I can cut a piece of black brass, engrave a vector boarder and do all the text before you get half way done with engraving directly into the wood & mask. When you consider then you have to paint fill after that, I just don't see the profit.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Ross,

It's quite simple, you charge more for a paint-filled plaque.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

Ross,

I agree on the filled plaques, I do produce them as certain clients want them, but the are a headache.

Some stuff is easier to do than others, my pricing doesn't always reflect how costly or difficult a job may be. Again I say percieved value is a big
    factor.

I do show a larger variety of options as well as custom work at many price points. This gives the client and idea of what I can accomplish. It makes the
    show room a bit nicer than just the standard things everone has.

The next part is selling... when I find out what they like or need then I can "guide" them through the process. I have had some clients that just
    can't make up their minds and would talked and wander all day if I let them.

That's where the selling and time management comes in, to work with your customer
    to quickly come to a resolution. Not always easy, as I to have had clients take up a half hour for a $10 plate.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,