Thread: Bethlehem Olive Wood

Bethlehem Olive Wood

I have been asked to make a chalice for a church that was est. in 1843.
    I thought it would be nice to make it out of BOW. I would like to find a piece
    at least 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 6 but have been unable to find anything that size.
    Does any one know of a source for that size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby
    Louisiana

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Are you prepared to fill voids with epoxy and other additives? There will be voids at that size.

You might have to laminate a few pieces together but I'm sure Woodcraft has something close.
    Donny

Bobby,
    you might look at this site. http://www.bethlehemolivewood.net/bases.html It shows solid bases in different sizes and shows one at the bottom that is 220 mm almost square which is 8.6". Not sure if they have them, but I just got 12 Stopper blanks from them and their wood is excellent and comes with authenticity certification also. It might be worth a call. They have a US toll free number.
    Last edited by Ken Glass; 08-04-2010 at 8:20 AM.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Blog Entries

Olive Wood

Harvey Shinerock of "Its a Burl" has whole trunks from the California olive groves. It's not BOW but it is beautiful, swirly, multi color bandied and smells great when turning. Should be able to Google It's a Burl. Good Luck
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.