Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, I'm easily amused....

OK, I'm easily amused....

Just wanted to post a couple of pics of the little bowl I made from the piece of Hickory in Donny's care package. Hit it with steel wool, white diamond and buffed ren wax. Simple form, but really nice looking wood!
    I have never worked with this wood before and it has been pure delight. I will stare at those knots and beautiful chestnut coloring for hours. My "office" bookcases were made out of knotty pine and I buffed every dang knot in the room until it shines!!!!

Michael

ps- yes, I know there's a glare in the pics.... I dont care!!! You have to give me credit for putting the phone down and getting a real camera. Sometimes progress takes time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael James; 08-03-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: white diamond, not tripoli on this piece....sorry

That is a great looking piece. Really like the simple form and finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow!! Michael, you certainly have a nice looking bowl there! Beautiful wood with a lot of character and color, and the form is very nice, as well. Great job!

That's great. I like the simple continuous curve and coloring.

MJ - that looks really nice! The guitar may be suffering from lack of attention, but the lathe clearly is not ....

Michael, you done a great job on that piece.If I get more of that I will let you know.Right now I have a great BIG piece of Sycamore burl that came from under the ground and I'm dying to get into it.I cut into just a piece of the root and it is hard to describe other that WOW!!!!!. I think Michael could use a piece of this.I have to get some pics of this and post it tomorrow.
    Donny

That's... well... OK, lovely. There. I said it. I have been discovering just how hard it is to make those deeply undercut forms, especially when you try to go that thin.
    David DeCristoforo

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    I like! Gives the wood its due respect.

Wonderful contrast

MJ, The contrast in the bowl is what does it for me, the deep brown of the wood around the knot compared to the creamy light sapwood is great. THe simple form brings it all together, it is one of my favorite style vessels to make. Keep up the good fight, and don't let the office cramp your creative style!

Marinating venison for tonight! Thanks again for the Southwest care/flare package!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Smile Thanks everybody

I appreciate the comments and support... Jeff... what time is dinner, and is there an airport near your house??
    mj

Super bowl, Michael. Really like the contrasting color/grain of that wood.

WOW! Very nice. But isn't that what they call a closed form? I get all these turning terms mixed up.

Why is it that woodturners call closed containers a box if it's not square?

Great looking piece! Love the contrast and the form.

Pretty little bowl! Really like the contrast in the wood! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Michael,
    The color is amazing. That is a nice bowl. Simple lines and again the color really makes it. Nice finish too. Well Done!!
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.