Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown Molding Jigs - Which one to buy?

Crown Molding Jigs - Which one to buy?

I will be installing crown molding in a family room and found several jigs on the market: Rockler, Kreg, Bench Dog, and others. Any suggestions on a particular brand?

Thanks,
    Richard

I have a Cut 'n' Crown system. Works great, a bit overpriced. The one thing that I REALLY like about it is the idiot proof instructions that are clearly stuck on the jig itself. Every cut you need to make is done on one setting of the saw, you just flip the jig, and it comes with a very informative video. Again, the process and instructions are worth it, the jig, seems a little steep in price.

Ryan

Is this a jig that you will be using with a miter saw or table saw, etc.?

I have the bench dog, generally they're all functionally similar.

One suggestion I always post is that unless you're painting the best thing to do is spend an afternoon learing to cope cut, it can make a huge difference in appearance after the wood has swollen and shrunk a few times.

I will be using a 12" miter saw.

If you're installing by yourself, these things help a lot:
    http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Cro...Pack-3p291.htm

I have a simple old rockler crown jig, holding the molding at the correct and consistent angle to the base is what they do. I have gotten very used to mine and it works well for me. I have made alot of crown molding shelves...so that helped me with getting used to cutting crown. My neighbor bought the cut'n'crown system at a ww show and let me use it last winter, it was pretty simple to use and the instructions were very clear, it cost him quite a bit for what it is, but it does work well.

Yea, I will be working by myself and these clips look like they can be a big help. Thanks!

It is going to hard for me to justify $150 for a crown jig system. I suppose if you consider the number of possible redos it may be worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions

Ya'll have given me some good food for thought.

Richard

I also have the cut-N-crown system. Works OK, still need to use a little filler here and there. On 16' cuts make sure you support them so there is as little drop (sag) as possible. Any bend in the material will show up as imperfections. Thus short sections come out great. Long sections put some twist on the piece and you get some imperfections. Not much, but some. Still a good system, but yes a bit pricey.

I bought the Bench Dog jig for my CMS.
    The picture on the jig showing correct orientation for the cuts is worth the price of the jig alone - for those that are occasional users.

If you go the Benchdog route, make sure you have enough clearance between it and the motor on the miter saw.
    My now gone Craftsman cleared with room to spare.
    My Ryobi doesn't have enough room on the right side.

Also - use a nailer behind the crown.

A fairly recent (last couple years) of Wood had a "home made version" which is priced much closer to my budget. It was basically a trough, with ends mitered, into which crown fits. They even labeled it for inside and outside corners , left and right.

Now that sounds like something I need to check out. Thanks!

+1 For learning to cut them by hand. Just buy a couple extra feet and pack or two of blades. It's really not too hard if your willing to put in a little time.

-Andrew