Thread: DIY Vacuum Table - Questions.

DIY Vacuum Table - Questions.

I built this vacuum table yesterday to hold my guitar bodies in place while I do various routing operations. It has strong resistance to vertical lifting but the body slips sideways when moderate lateral pressure is a applied.

It's a basic box made of 3/4" MDF sealed internally with silicone caulk. It's internal volume is 22" x 17" x 3" or almost .65 CF. It uses a 2.5" collector fitting attached to a Delta 50-720 1HP dust collector rated at 650CFM.

As you can see, the only holes are in the table top within the perimeter of the body. My less than logical brain tells me this has the DC working well under it's capacity. Do I need additional venting to increase the airflow and thus the vacuum within the box?

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

A dust collector will not pull enough suction for a vac table Hook up a shopvac to it and see if that will help. A dust collector moves a lot of air.

Mark, you need a rubber gasket around the outside border....and a shop vac will hold
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    A dust collector will not pull enough suction for a vac table Hook up a shopvac to it and see if that will help. A dust collector moves a lot of air.
    Hi Jerome.

Thanks for the quick response.

So, I want to move less air? Or is it a matter of a tighter system with in the Shopvac vs the DC?

I've seen Shopvacs rated in the 100 to 150 CFM, 5 to 6 HP range. Is that more what I need?

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Mark, you need a rubber gasket around the outside border....and a shop vac will hold
    Hi David.

So then maybe something like this... instead of form fitting, I could create a zone under the guitar.

You don't want to move a lot of air, you want to pull a vacuum. You only need a lot of cfm if you get a lot of leakage. As mentioned, you should havea seal to prevent leakage. Something like this.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...116-x-100.html

Sounds like what you really need is just a few vacuum clamping jigs. Build yourself a Joe Woodworker vacuum system and you'll get much better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crenshaw View Post
    Hi Jerome.

So, I want to move less air? Or is it a matter of a tighter system with in the Shopvac vs the DC?

I've seen Shopvacs rated in the 100 to 150 CFM, 5 to 6 HP range. Is that more what I need?

Peace,
    Mark
    No. A very tiny motor will draw a sufficient vacuum. A small shop vac will do because CFM is meaningless.

Think of it this way. If you can pull 1 pound per inch (atmospheric pressure is about 15 pounds per square inch) and multiply that by the area of the body (1 square foot), you would be putting 144 pounds of pressure on it.

Don't you remember the Oreck commercial where they showed a household vacuum sucking a bowling ball off the floor?

You don't want to use a DC. You need a vacuum and a rubber gasket - self adhesive weatherseal at Home Depot will do..
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 08-08-2010 at 9:01 AM.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    No. A very tiny motor will draw a sufficient vacuum. A small shop vac will do because CFM is meaningless.

Think of it this way. If you can pull 1 pound per inch (atmospheric pressure is about 15 pounds per square inch) and multiply that by the area of the body (1 square foot), you would be putting 144 pounds of pressure on it.

Don't you remember the Oreck commercial where they showed a household vacuum sucking a bowling ball off the floor?

You don't want to use a DC. You need a vacuum and a rubber gasket - self adhesive weatherseal at Home Depot will do..
    Thanks! I was hoping to use what I already have in the shop but I seem to remember an old upright vacuum that got stuck in storage when we bought out Dyson bowling ball lifter.

Thanks again!

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    You don't want to move a lot of air, you want to pull a vacuum. You only need a lot of cfm if you get a lot of leakage. As mentioned, you should havea seal to prevent leakage. Something like this.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...116-x-100.html

Sounds like what you really need is just a few vacuum clamping jigs. Build yourself a Joe Woodworker vacuum system and you'll get much better results.

Thanks Gerry. I think on the right track now.

Problem solved in less than 15 mins. How did I ever get anything done without the internet?

Peace,
    Mark