Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rubber feet on a cutting board

I'll go the other way. I don't like rubber feet, because I occasionally flip my board over. I don't see a problem with using them if you don't do that. At the same time, I do use a small bit of rubber (open weave stuff used under carpets) to keep the board from sliding around on the marble countertop that would also perform the same function, without the downside of being permanently affixed.

Another vote for those little rubber feet that get screwed to the bottom of the board. I use the ¾" sized ones from Lee Valley and put 3 each across the front and back edges of the cutting boards.

I havent put any feet on any of my cutting boards that I have made, but I have only been doing them for a couple of years

I have a large Boos block (24 x 18 x 2 1/4) and I tried using rubber shelf liner to hold it from slipping. Not only did it not work, the moisture collected under the board and caused staining. The board is too heavy to lift every time to clean so I put rubber feet on the bottom with a dot of silicon adhesive. Every few months I reverse sides, making sure to scrape all the old adhesive off. The board is edge grain maple and has held up to anything I've done including hacking up bones with a cleaver (nice image, huh!).
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

I've tried the stick on rubber dot feet but they tend to fall off fairly quickly due to the mineral oil. I've used the screw on type for larger boards.

I really like the GripperFeet or GripperWood rubber feet on the Acacia cutting boards available at Bed, Bath & Beyond and other place. Does anyone know if those are commercially available or if there is a suitable substitute?
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Cutting boards should be dried standing on edge. That said, I put rubber feet on a number of my boards. They work find both in keeping the board from moving around as I use it and to keep it from wobbling. They also allow air get under the board reducing the possibility of warping.
    Howie.........

I built 10 cutting boards as Christmas presents last year. I went back and forth about feet and decided not to add them. I thought it would be nice to be able to use either side of the board. I did give the recipients a note about how to care for the board, in which I told them to store it on edge until completely dry.

Blog Entries
    Self sticking feet tend to come off. You can go to a door supply house that sells metal doors and buy the little rubber bumpers that get pushed into the door frame on metal framed doors to keep the door from banging when shut. Drill a hole for the retaining tip to go into and press them in place. They stay in place longer than the sticky pads.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Stem Bumpers

I found these at Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...stem%20bumpers

As others posted, I was afraid stick-on feet would come off.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franz View Post
    (24 x 18 x 2 1/4) [..] edge grain maple and has held up to anything I've done including hacking up bones with a cleaver (nice image, huh!).
    A real cleaver like 1/4" thick and real heavy bones like cow ribs ?
    That'd be a lot of force.

Unfortunately I had to get the cutting board to my brother so I went with stick on rubber feet even though I was starting to wonder how well the feet would stick on. The good thing is he keeps his board in the same spot unless he is cleaning it so it won't get moved much. A side benefit of the feet was that his top was unlevel and I was able to sand the fee to make it fit perfect.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I have a slightly different twist on this .. .. here's what I've done in the past.

With a Forstner bit, I drill a shallow recess in each corner. Apply a glob of good silicone adhesive/caulk into the hole and immediate area. Lay down a sheet of waxed paper. Lay out several sets of "spacers" .. washers/nickels/quarters .. depends on how "thick" I want the feet to be. Set the board on the waxed paper such that the spacers hold the board up, off of the paper a bit. Let it cure. Using a punch or sharpened piece of tubing, press and twist over the glob, cutting loose all but the nice, round plug. Peel away the excess, and you're done.

Sounds like a lot of work, but I used to live WAY out in the country, and it was a long way to the nearest store, so I came up with this out of necessity, and have used it ever since. Very cheap .. very effective .. AND .. you get to use up all that old caulk sitting around, curing in the tubes.

I found a guy who was selling bulk rubber bumpers. They are really nice with recessed screw holes and are about 1/2 inch or so. Work perfectly. Before that I used to use the sticky bumpers and had a few people complain they did in fact come of....the screw ones...haven't heard a peep.
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.