Thread: Gasket for Cabinet Drawer (moisture barrier)

Gasket for Cabinet Drawer (moisture barrier)

I have posted several threads in recent weeks related to my garage workshop in Texas. I am about to start a workbench build project. There will be a number of drawers for holding hand tools. I plan to have a face frame so that all the drawer fronts close tightly with an overlap. Part of the reason for the face frame as opposed to a carcass with drawers that are stacked (no face plate spacer between drawers) is to reduce access for dust and moisture.

Is there a product on the market to improve the contact between the drawer face and the cabinet, such as a gasket or similar item that would be applied to the backside of the drawer face? This may be over kill, but I am tired of wiping moisture off tools and buffing off surface rust. This may be overkill but before I started building my dream bench I thought I should cover all bases and ask the question.

Thanks

Have you considered weather stripping? I'm far from an expert, but that's one thought I had. Although I can't remember where I saw it, I think I saw some other stuff that is basically adhesive backed foam. It might come on a roll like tape.

Weather stripping for sure. I wouldn't go with the foam kind since it tends to not last as long as a rubber/vinyl strip.

I would then place some of that moisture absorbing material in the bottom of the cabinet such that moisture can be removed from the cabinet.

Good point. I think I may have seen it on the door of our 185, but that means that it's at least twice as expensive, since it's made for airplanes.

Blog Entries
    In addition to the gasket/weatherstrip, google dessicant and you'll find links to buy dessicant bags. You can put those in the drawer to absorb moisture.