Thread: Hyundai 2000 Tiburon window mechanism

Hyundai 2000 Tiburon window mechanism

A friend has a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon. The drivers side window seems to have fallen off its mechanism. It is now in the "down" position and doesn't come up. Anyone know about the window mechanism on these cars? Does the inner door panel come off simply by removing the Phillips head screws? (That would be nice. I hate prying loose those plastic body fasteners.)

A sticky post on one Hyundai forum claimed that there are repair manuals for Hyundai cars online, but I can't find a working link to them.

Blog Entries
    Door panels are usually held on with a couple of screws through the door handle, hand-poppable fasteners along the sides and bottom (grab and pull the panel loose), and a molded lip along the top edge.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The pop-out type of fastener is what my Toyotas have. But I don't see any obvious places for such fasteners on the Tiburon. The Phillips head screws are the only thing that I see. My old '90 has a crank handle. As I recall, this Tiburon is too modern for such a relic.

Blog Entries
    On my S2000, there was a "handle" molded into the bottom on the panel, wide enough to slip four fingers between the panel and the door metal. A sharp yank separated the panel from the metal... this is what I mean by "poppable" fasteners. Two screws in the door handle, one in the upper corner near the sideview mirror, and about 7-8 poppables was all that held the panel on.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I found this is on the web at http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hyundai-R...val-Window.htm
    I won't be able to tell you what's wrong with your window. You'll need to investigate once you have the door panel off in order to find the cause.

As best I can recall, here's how to remove the panel:
    -Remove the outer half of the pull grip.
    -Look around the outside edge of the door and remove the small round covers (about 1/4") to expose the phillips screw heads.
    -Remove the phillips screws holding the door panel in place. There should be two in the inside door handle bezel, two in the pull grip, and several around the outside edge of the door panel.
    -Pry off the triangular mirror garnish.
    -Remove the inside door handle bezel.
    -Pull out on the bottom of the door panel to unsnap it from the door and then lift upward to take off the door.
    -Unplug the items in the panel to be able to move the panel away from the door.
    -Pull back the plastic liner to investigate what's wrong with the window.
    Perhaps the fact that I can see the Phillips head screws indicates that the door panel has been removed once before and the small round covers were left off.

Here's the process for removing the door panel.

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

1. Remove the door window regulator handle and then remove clip using a piece of cloth (Manual type only).

1. Remove the inside handle housing.

1. Remove the mounting screws from the grip handle, and remove the door trim panel. Disconnect the door lamp connector.

1. Remove the door grip handle mounting bracket, and inside handle mounting bracket and then door trim seal.

1. Remove the door glass stopper catch.

Thanks. I'll have to figure out some of the terminology when I look at the situation. I've never worked on power windows. I'm just learning that the mechanism that moves the window is called the "window regulator".