Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: toy finishes

Blog Entries

toy finishes

looking for best type of product to finish off toys. Making out of white pine and some western cedar. Would like to put a sealer or something on toy to keep from showing dirt and hand prints (kids playing with them) Also hope to sell some and would want it to be safe. appreciate any thoughts

All finishes and paints made in the USA since ~ 1978 are safe once they are fully cured. The problem was lead, not used anymore; well, China still uses it.

I would use a water-borne finish or shellac; both are quick and easy.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I make and sell toys and put no finish on any of them. i use pine and poplar. ANY (let me repeat ANY ) finish you put on a toy is required by law to be tested @ $300 a pop! No finish no problem.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has pretty much put an end to any children's toys made by non-manufacturing sources it they contain any type of finish. Even the adhesive can be an issue. The regulation even applies to something you make for your own children if they are under 12 years old. So far there has been some exemption for items that do not have a finish.

Here is some summary information about the issue and regulation.
    Howie.........

Where is the summary info?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries

finishes

Are we talking about simple things like lin-seed oil and schillac (sp)

There was just an article in Wood magazine about this. Our club has built toys to donate to Toys for Tots each year and it affects us as donated toys are not exempt. Short story is that if the finish manufacturer has the finish certified as lead free (and certain other chemicals included in the new standard) then that is sufficient.

I contacted Target Coatings, Zinnser, and Deft and none of them have even bothered to respond which I think is pretty sad, especially since I said why I was asking.

Next year its even worse as any non-natural materials (i.e. basically anything but the wood) in the toy have to be certified. Fastners, glues, the rope we used for handles on wagons, the rubber wheels we bought for wagons, the yarn in the doll afghans that someone made for us, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burgess View Post
    Are we talking about simple things like lin-seed oil and schillac (sp)
    Yes , ANYTHING that is not the wood. If ,for instance, Linseed Oil is used you must have it tested to see that it is realy LInseed Oil. Silly huh?
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quickest way to turn the USA economy around? Get rid of the EPA!
    Scott

A couple of batches of kids toys with melamine or lead in them and everybody gets up in arms. Who would have thought?

Unfortunately, laws are often targeted to the least common denominator.

Yes, there are people who try to do good that get tied up in it as well. It is what it is and I consider it one of those times that I look to get the least of two bad deals.

I would highly suggest staying away from anything designed to go to kids. I wonder if you could stamp them as produced it 1985 and be OK?

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Joe, isn't that kind of like making a fake ID?

>>>> Are we talking about simple things like lin-seed oil and schillac (sp)

Yes, any finish even linseed oil, shellac or walnut oil.

Here is some info:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09115.html

Note there was a one year moratorium on some elements but the year is over in December. The regulation applied whether you sell the items or give them away.
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 08-10-2010 at 4:11 PM.
    Howie.........

So I can't make a bed or furniture for my grandson with a finish on it? Wanna bet?
    Scott

Unless you are going to invoice your grandson for the bed, it's not even an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Scott Holmes View Post
    So I can't make a bed or furniture for my grandson with a finish on it? Wanna bet?
    Well, you could...but you'd technically be breaking the law. If it turned out that there was something nasty in the finish and their health insurance company sued you, you could be in trouble.
    Last edited by Chris Friesen; 08-11-2010 at 2:55 PM.