Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw dilemma

Table Saw dilemma

Hey everyone. Being a brand new woodworker in the learning phase. I have a minor issue I could use some advice on.

My current table saw is the Ryobi BT3000. I have hardly used it at all. I have the accessory pack with the miter slot, bag, wheels etc etc.

The problem I have with it is the back of the fence where it attaches to the rail is broken. I guess I didn't adjust the fence lock correctly and snapped the plastic insert. I am going to try and fix it. If not, I will see if I can find the part reasonable or buy another BT3000 for parts.

Or I could sell it for parts (it is amazing what rails, miter saw table etc sells for) and look for a new/used/better saw.

My budget would be around $500 so that leaves out a lot of hybrid saws. I am only going with 110v saws so that leaves out some good deals on cabinet saws. I am also limited on space.

I stopped by Lowes and looked at the new Porter Cable PCB270TS. Looks like a decent saw. Cabinet mounted trunions (although the appear to be plastic or nylon?).

I have found some decent saws (or at least I think so) on local CL here. General 50-185 and a Delta 36-465 with 52" Bies, etc lots of stuff.

Any thoughts? $550 for the General and $400 for the Delta.

Few things to look for, and a few questions to ask yourself.

Does the saw come with a riving knife, or splitter that is independent of the guard which can be used in the majority of cutting situations? A splitter should also be easy to remove, and replace.

Does the blade guard get in the way, and can be used frequently?

Do you plan to use the saw with a dust collector? If so, does the saw have a shroud/dust port, or will you need to buy additional accessories or get creative to hook it up.

Is the fence sturdy? Any deflection in the fence system is not good. I see this often with low end saws.

Motor.

1-3/4-2 hp motor will cut any sheet goods easily, and will rip 4/4 and 5/4 hardwood without much trouble. Rough sawn 8/4 harwoods can pose a problem with a combination blade, and you might have to switch out to a rip blade.

3 HP motor will never get in your way in most circumstances. Remember though to pace yourself and cut at a safe feed rate.

Finally.

With any piece of woodworking machinery, brand new or used expect and plan to tune it up, and make adjustments. There are many internet blog posts, forum posts, as well as books on this subject. In order to use a machine safely and accurately it must be well tuned.

Hopefully you find a saw that works out well for your needs. I wish I had more experience with saws in your price range so I could offer more comments on specific models.

Restoring a used saw would be my first choice.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

At that budget, I'd keep scouring your local CL for a used cabinet or hybrid saw. You should eventually be able to get your hands on a decent General, Delta, Grizzly for around $500.

You're done with the benchtops...time to move to the next level.

I agree whole hartedly with Victor, table top saws are simply toys. Just keep looking You'll find something.
    Mike Harrison

CL lists a number of the older craftsman table saws for under 200 bucks. Add a after market fence(mine has a delta) and you can use the savings for other tools. Either way what ever you buy is going to need a little elbow grease for set up.
    On the table top saw I agree most are nothing but toys. But there is one that is out standing and that's the Bosch. Out standing little saw that the only one that comes close to having a full size table saw you can more around to job sites.

For $500, on Craigslist you could buy a saw to last a lifetime, and also be money in the bank if your plans change.

Check out the Ridgid stationary tablesaws. They get good reviews for the price.

I believe HD has discontinued the granite top hybrid and is replacing it with a better model. You might be able to find the defunct granites at a discount or you cld wait for the new replacements (this fall?).

Unless I'm mistaken, the PC270TS has table mounted trunnions, not cabinet mounted. I'd also be surprised if they weren't made of cast metal. The PC270TS is nearly identical to the Hitachi C10FL but offers a riving knife and a better mobile base.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Check out the Ridgid stationary tablesaws. They get good reviews for the price.

I believe HD has discontinued the granite top hybrid and is replacing it with a better model. You might be able to find the defunct granites at a discount or you cld wait for the new replacements (this fall?).

Just what I was thinking of Prashun! I am a proud owner of a R4511 granite top saw, got it for $299 during the blow-out sale.. couldn't be happier... there are many reports of the newer R4511 being sold for $399... worth checking out, and I have it crammed in my 8'x22' shop...

Try bt3central for anything regarding the BT3000. Those guys will know how to get parts, and will tell you every step about fixing the saw you have.

Incidentally,this saw does have a genuine riving knife.

If I were doing it again ... knowing that my aim is to make fine furniture ... I'd DEFINITELY have bought a used cabinet saw.

As it is, I DO get by, just fine, with my "upgraded" Bosch 4100, but ... I also keep an eye out on CL for a bargain on a Unisaw or PM.

If it were me ... I'd go with the cabinet saw. YMMV

Check this out: http://bt3000.com/
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Michael-
    I understand your struggle. About 4 years ago I burned up the motor on my "starter" bench-top table saw. I elected to upgrade, and went with the Ridgid 3650. But like Neil, I'm now wishing I'd gone with a cabinet or hybrid saw.

I do have another suggestion, though, for getting more life out of your current saw. Have you taken a look at a 3rd party rail and fence? I had upgraded my starter saw with a Rousseau PortaMax 2600. I got it on sale for a little under $100 from Amazon, and it added a lot to the usefulness of the saw. I don't know what they're going for now, or if they'll even fit onto a BT3000, but it's another option to consider.

Let us know what you decide.
    Sanity is like a parachute. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can take mine.

check out the bt3000 web site. i have the same saw and was able to get parts fast and cheap. I found the parts supplier on that web site.

i dropped the sliding table and broke one of the plastic guides. it cost less than $10 to get replacements.

Far be it from me to talk you out a new saw, but, my old saw was a BT3000 - and when the motor died, I took it apart and kept all the pieces and tables, etc. - - If you want or need something for that saw, I would be happy to give it to you. Let me know.

For whats its worth - that BT3000 was a great saw for me - just a little underpowered for the work I do now. If the motor had not blown, I would still be using it. I dont know what kind of work you do, but, if you can get get away with it, keep the BT3000 for now, and save for a cabinet saw in the future (maybe a SawStop).

My 2 cents.

Russ