Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cherry Headboard (pics) finally!!

Jerry,

Very beautiful project and end result, stunning! One question though, I have built several projects from cherry and can't seem to get that beautiful color that is coming through on my computer from your piece. I am wondering if it's the cherry I buy on the west coast or is it my finishing technique. I noticed Jason Tuinstra's last project, it had that same elusive for me and beautiful tone. What was your finishing process? Again, beautiful!!

Gene

Throat

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Raines
    Jerry,

The problem continued to persist...So I seen the doctor again. I have to have a few growths(cyst) removed from my throat.
    Donnie Thanks for update, We will be thinking of you , Pls let us know the results and you'll soon be back to creating sawdust in the shop!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Collison
    Jerry,

One question though, I have built several projects from cherry and can't seem to get that beautiful color that is coming through on my computer from your piece. I am wondering if it's the cherry I buy on the west coast or is it my finishing technique. I noticed Jason Tuinstra's last project, it had that same elusive for me and beautiful tone. What was your finishing process?
    Gene
    Gene, my process is simple: a heavy coat of BLO, wipe off in 30 minutes and them let dry a week. (this Pops the grain ). Then I pad on several coats of garnet shellac and keep padding till i get the look I want, In this case, I did not apply another topcoat of P&L 38 varnish (for protection as wasn't needed) Jason, I think also uses BLO but sprays on a top coat of lacquer. You can also just put on lacquer alone and of course, cherry darkens by itself w age and exposure to light. Hope this helps,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    Gene, my process is simple: a heavy coat of BLO, wipe off in 30 minutes and them let dry a week. (this Pops the grain ). Then I pad on several coats of garnet shellac and keep padding till i get the look I want, In this case, I did not apply another topcoat of P&L 38 varnish (for protection as wasn't needed) Jason, I think also uses BLO but sprays on a top coat of lacquer. You can also just put on lacquer alone and of course, cherry darkens by itself w age and exposure to light. Hope this helps,
    Jerry, it helps a lot, I will try it on my next cherry project. Thanks....

Gene

Great Job!!!!!

Looks awesome!!!! I hope to be working on projects like that in the future.

Jerry,

Great work! I enjoy working with cherry more than any other wood, I think. You finish looks fantastic and will get better with age, of course.

A question about your use of BLO. You said you wipe on BLO only, then wipe it off and let the item sit a week. On some pieces I'm starting to finish, I'm using a 2/2/1 mix of BLO/Naphtha/Polyurethane. Is there a reason you don't thin the BLO for wiping?

Keep up the great work!
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 12-10-2004 at 5:28 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Bill

[QUOTE=Bill Arnold]
    A question about your use of BLO. You said you wipe on BLO only, then wipe it off and let the item sit a week. On some pieces I'm starting to finish, I'm using a 2/2/1 mix of BLO/Naphtha/Polyurethane. Is there a reason you don't thin the BLO for wiping?

Bill,I know quite a few WW'ers do a mixture/home brew as you say and are v happy with the results. It's also more a one application (several coats?) process and dries quicker. I like the look I get w straight BLO even with the long drying time and love to work the shellac separately. Just a personal preference ...
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    Just a personal preference ...
    That's what's so great about what we do! Each of us can use different processes to achieve essentially the same end result. I continue to experiment with slight variations on a theme each time I finish an item. Impatience spurs me to try things that will speed up the finish process. Although there are times I wish I could just build something and hand it to someone else to apply finish, I'm making myself learn more about finishing and, in the process, achieving better results.

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Bill

Bill ,Agree w your thought 100%. Also Japan Drier (a small Amt) speeds up the drying of BLO. BLO on its own is very slow....
    Jerry