Thread: I want to add a piece on to my workshop/garage

I want to add a piece on to my workshop/garage

I want to keep doing woodworking all year round, and have decided to build a piece on to my workshop (and add a furnace), which was a single car detached garage when I bought it. It is 14’ x 24’ and I want to add a piece on 12’ x 16’ deep. I guess my question would be more directed to woodworkers in colder climates like mine (eastern Canada). I think the easiest way to build the base would be similar to a deck ( a 2” x 6” frame), it is raised up a bit and the floor would be approximately two feet above ground level.
    To keep the heat in, I was thinking of adding plywood to the bottom of the floor joists (essentially boxing them in) and then having the open area spray foam insulated before adding the flooring sheets.
    Has anyone ever done something like this, or if not, do you think it would be the best way to do the base? Pouring a cement floor and then adding a two foot high wall would be much more expensive, and more difficult than the method I’m thinking of.
    Your ideas would be appreciated.
    Lloyd Kerry

2X6 framing is not adequate for a shop floor. At a minimum you should go for 2X8. I would never even frame any floor with 2X6.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    2X6 framing is not adequate for a shop floor. At a minimum you should go for 2X8. I would never even frame any floor with 2X6.
    If it's built on top of an existing concrete slab, I'd even use 2x4s... it's there to offer room for insulation, not support heavy loads over long unsupported distances.

Assuming I'm reading the OP correctly...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post

Assuming I'm reading the OP correctly...
    It's going to be 2' above the floor. With a 12' span I wouldn't use less than 2x10s for the joists. 2x6s are not code for that span unless you are building a trampoline.

LLoyd....

Will there be a step down from the existing garage to the new space, or will the floors all end up on the same level? I assume you're saying the land slopes away from the existing garage, and that's where the 2' comes from.

If you build it deck-style, what will support the deck? You still need a foundation of some sort. A shop floor isn't going to sit on a few cement-filled tubes the way a deck does.