Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engraving Leather

Engraving Leather

Hello All!

I first want to start off by saying this is truly a fantastic site (so much so I am going to be upgrading to contributor).

Okay, so while I was at my local Tandy Leather Outlet recently I was informed by the lady working there that a previous customer, who did laser engraving, informed her the while engraving a maroon/burgundy colored/dyed piece of leather that it "burnt out his laser". She went on to say and I am quoting, "He said that the chromium sulfate in the leather refracted the beam and therefore burnt out the laser." ???

I sent this question along to ULS to see if they have ever heard of this "problem" and the very helpful Darryl said that he didn't think that the "guy" had the correct setup (air assist and appropriate exhaust). I'm thinking the same thing because the leather was NOT metallic or shiny in anyway. It just looks like reddish leather.

In doing some research I have found that leather is either vegetable tanned or chrome tanned and that 90% of leather in the US is Chrome Tanned.

The reason that I bring this up today is because I had a customer stop by with a burgundy leather jacket bible to be engraved.

I know you're all super smart with these kind of "chemical reaction" questions, so any further explaination as to what could/can happen is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Heard back from ULS. The chromium sulfate DOES NOT affect the laser in anyway in regards to refracting the beam. It was this man's set up!
    Last edited by Karen Barber; 08-06-2010 at 3:19 PM.
    Karen Barber
    Universal VLS6.60 30W
    Corel X4

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that guy needed someone/something to blame other than himself. The leather tanning solution had zero to do with it...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I agree. Engraving darker colored leathers can produce unexpected results. Some not too good. The other thing is that colored leathers tend to be thinner so it's better to engrave with a couple of passes at lower power than to just blast it.

The old tan cowhide engraves as well as any material I've found.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I engrave tons of leather, and I get my leather at the local Tandy, and I've never had a problem, it does stink, so you need to vent outside or use a charcoal scrubber. It's one of the reasons I bought the engraver in the first place.
    Last edited by Joe De Medeiros; 08-06-2010 at 8:50 PM.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

When I was attending training workshops in Ontario with the ULS distributors, a couple of the other students were from a company in Nova Scotia that specialized in leather goods for Nova Scotia's thriving Scottish/Highland Games market (www dot landmhighland dot com).

They do a lot of custom leather etching with their LASER.
    James

nova scotia lasers
    Nova Scotia, Canada

VLS4.60 with 50 watts, rotary, honeycomb, air, collimator ... CorelDRAW X5, 1-Touch Photo
    HP Deskjet 500 42" printer
    Magicard Rio ID Card Printer
    Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.

I did a lot of leather engraving and can say that on artificial leather engraving almost always perfect, but on real leather sometime you can be very dissapointed with results.

I think whoever it was that said that the laser was damaged by engraving leather have their facts wrong. There have been people engraving leather for years without problems and I suspect what might have happened was that their laser just happened to blow out when they were doing a leather piece and found themselves an easy excuse for it dying.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Agree with you Frank, but when you engrave natural leather SMELL IS UNBELIEVABLE

Is that burnt hair? - No it's just engraved leather!

I have engraved leather and still do. I have over 100 pieces to do currently. All of the pieces I do are raw leather, acid washed, dyed, or hide (fur still on). Never had a problem! The only problem I have is the stench and the cleanup with the hide. Fur goes everywhere!

I'm including two pictures of some of the leather I have done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Voroncov View Post
    ...on artificial leather engraving almost always perfect...
    The question that brings to my mind is, what exactly is "artificial leather" made of? It would not surprise me a bit if PVC showed up in the ingredient list.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I think artificial leather do not contain PVC:
    1) November-December here is diary engraving season. Sometimes customers engrave 500 pcs per day and there is no effect of rust on laser metal parts.
    2) Smell after engraving is not same like after PVC engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The question that brings to my mind is, what exactly is "artificial leather" made of? It would not surprise me a bit if PVC showed up in the ingredient list.
    It comes from the skin of the Nauga..... Surely you've heard of Naugahyde?

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/nauga.asp

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Voroncov View Post
    I think artificial leather do not contain PVC:
    1) November-December here is diary engraving season. Sometimes customers engrave 500 pcs per day and there is no effect of rust on laser metal parts.
    2) Smell after engraving is not same like after PVC engraving
    A quick google on "artificial leather pvc" reveals that some types do in fact contain PVC.
    And we have the usual problem that most of the common sources for artificial leather don't/can't/won't provide MSDS info.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund View Post
    So it's not enough we have to worry about PVC, now we have to deal with an endangered species?

("It's a joke, I say, it's a joke, son." - Foghorn Leghorn)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund View Post

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/nauga.asp
    Mark
    Yes, although it's not half the quality of Corinthian leather. But I have to admit, their a heck of a lot easier to catch than a Wild Scottish Haggis!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it