Thread: Old Drill Press Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Old Drill Press Help

A few years ago I was given an old King-Seeley/Craftsman drill press. It has always been a bit rough, but it seemed to drill straight enough holes. Last night drilling holes for pen blanks the “not quite right” noises got out of hand and I had to stop and find out what was going on.

I think the problem is that the spindle pulley (27415) isn’t being held correctly. With the spindle raised, the spindle pulley rests on a collar attached to the spindle. When I lower the drill bit, the pulley follows (i.e. goes down) along for about a half inch till it bottoms out (I’m not sure what stops it) and the spindle can continue to be lowered. Also sometimes when I turned it off, it sounded like a bearing was still spinning. After looking around for a few minutes I found two screws (X565) in the head stock that seem to be meant to hold the outside of the lower bearing (18212) on the spindle pulley are worn to the nub. I’m guessing the screws could support the pulley, but it seems like a strange way to do it. The screws are listed as being No. 8-32 x ¾” in the manual for a similar drill press that I found at oldwwmachines.com (mine is a 103.23141 and the manual is for a 103.23130). I’ve included a picture from the manual that I hope illustrates what I tried to describe.

So, my question…Is it correct to have these two screws hold the lower bearing of the spindle pulley? If not what else may be broken or missing?

If this doesn’t make sense, let me know and I’ll try to explain it better.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan Stuewe; 12-09-2004 at 12:52 PM.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Dan, your drill press model 103.23141 is in the Sears Parts Direct online site (both diagram and parts list). Looks much like the one you show.

My guess without seeing it up close and personal is that one of the snap rings is no longer functioning thus allowing your pulley to float/travel some vertically.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>INNER SNAP RING</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>18414</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>4</TD><TD width=77 bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left bgColor=#ffffff><SCRIPT> partiden3 = '18414'; suffix3 = 'NA'; desc3 = 'INNER SNAP RING'; pls3 = '113'; div3 = '0009'; modelNumber3 = '10323141'; keyID3 = '4'; </SCRIPT><INPUT onclick="onClickAddPart(partiden3, suffix3, desc3, pls3, div3, modelNumber3, keyID3)" type=button value=" + " name=partNum18414NA></TD><TD width=3 bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT type=textbox maxLength=2 onchange="onChangeQty(partiden3, suffix3, desc3, pls3, div3, modelNumber3, keyID3)" size=2 value=0 name=qty184144NA></TD><TD width=3 bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD align=left bgColor=#ffffff><INPUT onclick="onClickMinusPart(partiden3, suffix3, keyID3)" type=button value=" - " name=partNum18414NA></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>OUTER SNAP RING</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>18415</TD><TD bgColor=#e5e5e5>5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

18414 is the one that holds the pulley and 18415 holds the bearing in the race. Because of the noise you describe I wonder if 414 is in place but 415 has jumped out and the noise is caused by the spinning of the bearing outer race in the cast iron bearing bored hole. Check to see if the bearing is okay, if it turns freely, if it does then score the bore some or shim - press the bearing back in place and install the snap ring. May work for another 50 or 60 years.

Sorry for the updates;
    If the bearing is bad (as I think more about it - this seems likely) it is available from Sears.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width=523 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#e5e5e5>205 BRG <INPUT type=hidden value=205%20BRG> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5><INPUT id=qty0 type=textbox onchange=OnChangeQty(0) size=3 value=1 name=qty0> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5>STD315255 (18212) </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle bgColor=#e5e5e5>10323141 <INPUT type=hidden value=10323141 name=model0> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right bgColor=#e5e5e5>$ 12.49 <INPUT type=hidden value=000001249 name=price0> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right bgColor=#e5e5e5>$ 12.49 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Your local bearing house may (probably) have it at a better price (gotta pay for convience ya know).
    Last edited by Steve Stube; 12-09-2004 at 2:21 PM.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Dan,

Steve beat me to it - the pulley should not be moving up and down, only the spindle should move. I would agree, most likely a snap ring broke. Don't use it this way because a bunch of parts could be damaged.
    Naturally, while you have it apart, look into replacing the bearings for a few bucks more (not from Sears - too expensive).

Good luck,
    Wes

As per Steve's update - get the number off the bearing (and measurements) when you get it apart and call a local bearing shop - should run less than $5 for a good domestic bearing. (Sears also nails you with a large shipping charge.)
    Last edited by Wes Bischel; 12-09-2004 at 2:28 PM.

Old Iron

Dan, I have the same DP (floor model). Have not had this problem, so I can't help with a solution. My spindle is splined and rides through the pully. I'll look at mine tonight and see if I can help. Mine is REALLY a smooth performer.

I think I found the problem. There is a set screw in the spindle collar that is missing. So here's my guess. The collar is there to hold the pulley at the correct height so it is in plane with the motor pulley.

Have to wait till tomorrow to see if the hardware store has one in stock. It is a 5/16-18 x 1/2 - cone point set screw.

(As I wrote this I realized that the screw might be lying around - no such luck.)

As for the snap rings, there is one on the pulley shaft holding the bottom bearing and one in the head. I think the one in the head is what keeps the pulley from sliding down farther.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. Let me know if what I am thinking makes sense.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Thanks so much for the great info.

The DP has always sounded a bit rough, maybe grinding is a good description. I did have the pulley off last night and both bearings on the pulley are okay in that they spin freely and will continue to rotate for a couple revolutions after I spin them. Also, the lower bearing only had slight up/down play on the pulley shaft (like the thickness of a few sheets of paper). As I recall there was only one snap ring on it though.

Last night there was a loud schreeching probably due to the belt (I have a link belt on it).

I'll look at the sears parts site (didn't even think to look there).
    Dan

-Monta Crane