View Poll Results: How many have a table saw?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, and use it often

43 74.14%
  • yes, but hardly use it

6 10.34%
  • no, use a handheld circular saw

4 6.90%
  • no, use all handsaws

5 8.62%

Thread: not quite neander tools

not quite neander tools

Was just wandering how many people use a table saw for all their projects. I myself don't have one and get along alright with a rip saw and then clean it up with a plane.
    Last edited by Aaron Kline; 12-09-2004 at 3:22 PM.

Aaron,

These are tough questions! Make it easy on some of us and add a category: "How many use a table saw, but are using it less and less?".

T.Z.

Then there's the old, "How many use a table saw but won't publicly admit it?"
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave,

If you just don't hit the switch...it cuts slower but then we can discuss it on this Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    Then there's the old, "How many use a table saw but won't publicly admit it?"
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

What's a "handsaw"? I thought the idea here was to KEEP all our digits AND hands, not to go BUY one to cut your hand off! Sheeeeesh....Not at all sure about this Neander thing!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Dont have a table saw...

but I do use my Laguna Band saw a lot. I just dont resaw or rip that well with a hand saw.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

I had a line on a nice Delta Tilting Arbor Saw for a really good price. I bought it and it sat waiting for me to hook up 220V in my garage. Just about done with the electrical hookup, and I sold the saw last week. I decided I could get along fine with a band saw, circular saw, and hand saws. I never even switched the thing on. Plus, with a 14x20 shop, that thing was taking up half my floor space.

-Jamey

I forgot to add in my earlier post that I use my table saw every day! Great flat surface for assembly, one of the cast iron wings is near perfect for flatness and is great for "Scary Sharp" and yes, once or twice a week it is switched on. Also, when I set up my shop, I made my bench the same height as the table saw, so as to use the bench to support the off-cuts. Because of the close proximty to the bench, my saw has become the "catch-all" place for laying tools instead of the bench!

Haven't done cross cuts on it for months (love them by hand!) and use it less and less for rips (still can't quite convince myself to replace it with one of my rip saws).

All in all this makes the saw worth far more to me than what I paid for it.

Seriously though, I will probably always have a table saw, along with my jointer, bandsaw, drill press and planer. Items to go include the radial arm saw, my Performax 16-32 drum sander, the 12" disc sander and probably the shaper. Those items definitely are just wasting space!

I have a Shopsmith. I used to use it for cutting everything (slowly, due to weak power). Now I have a large BS. I used to use it for turning bowls (small bowls, due to light weight). Now I have a PM 3520, that I'll use as soon as my electrical passes inspection. The Shopsmith is now a very good, but expensive, sander and drill press. It'll mainly sit in my shop with a sanding disk on the back end and the Beall buffing wheels on the front end. For the occasional large flat work I do, it can be rolled out into the garage. I even can do panels with the extension tables set up (not quick), but 4x8s are easier to cut with a CS first. I guess you could say I now have an "emergency" table saw.

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Today I pull some rough lumber for the next boat to dry out some. Will be scarfing the bottom planks next week and ripping them to 4" planks.

I'll be doing 15 white pine planks that are 19' long...

....think I'm gonna do all that ripping with Disston, or with Freud?
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Come on Bob!

Our Penna. white pine, when dry, cuts like butter (said in complete jest)!. Several years ago we picked up several hundred board feet of white pine to make paneling for our camp. Dried it in a "climate controlled" room in one of our buildings, to 9 - 10% moisture content (musty, damp hunting camp, you know), and made the paneling.

Yes, Mr. Freud helped, but only in the shaper cutters! Mr. Woodmaster helped in the ripping!

T.Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Kline
    Was just wandering how many people use a table saw for all their projects. I myself don't have one and get along alright with a rip saw and then clean it up with a plane.
    Aaron,

You won't find many hard-core, hand-tools-only, neanders around here.

Most of us are what I call Krenovian. We use the tool that will do the best job for the task at hand.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.