Thread: 15" Planer

15" Planer

I have been looking for a planer 13 to 15", on craigslist today there is a
    Reliant 15" planar for sale, excellent condition, well maintained, cast ironed bed, 3hp, 2 speeds, dust chute.

Does anyone know anything about this planer, sounds good to me, BUT??
    Thanks
    Rex

Hi Rex

I'm pretty sure that's a planer made by Geetech in Taiwan, with the Reliant (Enco) badge on it. I have the same planer. Works great, fairly quiet and very reliable once it is calibrated. It also does not snipe. Changing blades is interesting, but not bad once you've done it a few times. Go to the OWWM site and find the Robert Vaughn video on adjusting blades on older planers.

You didn't say what the asking price is. Most 15" generic planers go for around $500 used. If the stand is in rough shape, you can get a Grizzly planer stand for cheap in their close-out section.

Having owned a couple of lunchbox planers in the past, I would never go back to a planer with a universal motor.

Rex
    I have that 15" Reliant planer, and some other Reliant tools. I have used it for about 15 years or more and have no complaint with it. It came with a jig to set the knives that made that easy. I also have the manual I can copy and send to you if needed.
    Mike

I know the is a old thread but trying to find a manual for the 15 reliant planer is problematic they just are not out there. This is the only thread I have found on a manual. Hopefully the author is still active on the site. I sent a PM to him. Here's hoping.

it looks like the sam exact planer as my Jet 15HO. You can find that manual on the Internet and I bet it's all the same.

I need new drive chains for the feed rollers I need to know the size of the chains. I sent the outfeed roller to J.J.Short in New York to get recovered. It was a mess.
    pat
    "so many tools so little time"

These planers are all basically the same except paint color. Jet stocks all the parts you need.

8. if you still have that manual for dd 37 i truly need one