Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do they do that?

How do they do that?

I found this site & was amazed at the different things they offered. I was really interested in the glasswear, but it was all pretty great. The site is http://www.stickershopunlimited.com/ How is this done, it looks like they can apply it to cloth as well as hardgoods.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Linda Tetreault; 08-12-2010 at 6:29 AM. Reason: fixed link
    Linda Tetreault
    Laser Impressions
    Epilog Mini 45 watt
    Corel X5

Your link doesn't appear to be a good one.

Without seeing more it looks like vinyl.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I think that is pad printing, basically a screen printing process that uses an offset pad to print on then the image is transfered from the pad to the object.

I have seen many years ago the process in use for golf balls, glasses, pens and other odd shaped objects.

edit: after looking at the site I agree it is just vinyl stickers.

But, pad printing is a better way for larger volume orders.
    Last edited by Mike Davis NC; 08-12-2010 at 9:07 AM.

Question

Thank you,

We have an embroidery machine, Epilog laser & heat seal machine, a vinyl cutter may be just what we need. I guess I thought of vinyl cutters just for signs & banners, didn't know you could do small items like glasses. Any suggestion on equipment, probably not larger than 24".
    Linda Tetreault
    Laser Impressions
    Epilog Mini 45 watt
    Corel X5

I have had good luck with this vinyl cutter.
    http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-...ter-_p_25.html

I have the 25" model with stand and for the price it has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Tetreault View Post
    Thank you,

We have an embroidery machine, Epilog laser & heat seal machine, a vinyl cutter may be just what we need. I guess I thought of vinyl cutters just for signs & banners, didn't know you could do small items like glasses. Any suggestion on equipment, probably not larger than 24".
    Sometimes we need to look outside the box. I use vinyl for nametags
    when the client needs color. I don't have a cutter but for small jobs the laser is fine to cut.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

7. I am a new member and in the process of purchasing a laser and this thread is just what I was looking for. If I understand correctly, you can cut vinyl with a laser (i am looking at a 60watt) and use a heat transfer press to apply to glasses?

Trying to learn as much as I can before purchasing

Steve, no, you can't do that. You can't heat press a glass, or vinyl. Heat pressing vinyl will melt it, the heat press doesn't do glasses.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hudepohl View Post
    I am a new member and in the process of purchasing a laser and this thread is just what I was looking for. If I understand correctly, you can cut vinyl with a laser (i am looking at a 60watt) and use a heat transfer press to apply to glasses?

Trying to learn as much as I can before purchasing

I cut vinyl on a very LIMITED basis with the laser, as it does produce a hazardous gas.

Haven't played with this type transfer for glasses, not sure of durability.
    I have use Rowmark Mates (dye-sub) decals for ceramic mugs and seemed
    fairly durable. Dye Sub has come along way thanks to the Ricoh line of printers.
    Mug presses vary, some use the standard presses, others like the wraps and
    even another way that uses an oven type device that helps glaze it. I have
    even used (magic Touch) laser transfer for non-dye sub coated
    mugs with some success. No complaints but must hand wash.

Sharpie sells opaque oil based pens that adhere to glass as well as other substrates
    quite well but havent found a masking that works well.

LazerBits and General Chemical makes a liquid mask that's laseable,
    just haven't tried it yet.

Good luck and let us know your findings!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Steve, no, you can't do that. You can't heat press a glass, or vinyl. Heat pressing vinyl will melt it, the heat press doesn't do glasses.
    Scott,

How do they press vinyl decals onto jerseys?
    Is it a special vinyl or just a low heat and pressure?
    Iv'e thought about outsourcing some since now cutters can
    print and cut.

Iv'e pressed coated glass mugs (dye sub) not very nice though

I did like the new Sharpie oil pens though except for bleeding.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Special vinyl made to do that.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

12. Thanks for the information! I am going to look into the Lazerbit and General Chemical. I know that there is a product from Chemark but the colors are very limited when using a CO2 laser. I will keep you posted.

When you look at a Vinyl Cutter US Cutter is a Good place to look. They did me right.... I bought a basic version and before opening it decided I needed or wanted a machine that could read registration marks and go back and cut stickers. They let me upgrade to a Graphtec FC7000-60 with me paying the shipping back to them. I highly recommend them for that act of Kindness....

I did not do all the homework that I needed to do in the beginning and Stickers was one of my products...

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hudepohl View Post
    If I understand correctly, you can cut vinyl with a laser
    NO, NO, NO, NO!

No...

No!

Cutting vinyl will produce hydrochloric acid - it will (almost immediately) cause your laser to rust and if you breathe the fumes it can cause lung damage.

There are two things that are specifically mentioned as "do not laser", Teflon and PVC, both produce toxic (and/or caustic) fumes. Anything with the word "vinyl" contains PVC. There are people who say the cut vinyl with no ill affects but why chance damaging equipment that cost you many thousands of dollars and is likely to be your source of income?

Gary

Hi Linda, the glasses are screen printed, then in order to hold the inks to the glass so they don't wash off they would need to bake in. This process is great if you are doing volume, just like pad printing, a screen needs to be made and ink squeegee on, it can be messy but when you have 100's to do the cost is low,