Thread: Anyone use a Tormek?

Question Anyone use a Tormek?

I have been interested in the Tormek for some time and I am thinking about jumping in. I saw Norm's demo of the machine it was was quite impressive. It seems to have jigs for every conceivable sharpening need.

What do you think of yours? Did it meet your expectations?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

tormek

hi byron
    i bought one about a year ago - a lot of bucks - but sure gets the job done. had tried several techniques with less than good results (likely my abilities) - for me the investment was well worth it.

jerry
    jerry

Anyone use a Tormek?

I have had a Tormek system for about 2 years and would not be without it. My brother (who lives too far away to borrow mine, thank goodness) just bought one for himself at the Detroit Woodworks Show last weekend. We did however, share the purchase price of the jointer/planer knife sharpening jig. I have not used it yet...this weekend maybe.

It is expensive no matter how you look at it but it performs exactly as the advertisers say it does. The only thing I have found that it is not good at is flatening (sp?) the back side of planes and chisels. It is not fast but it is very accurate and easy to use after a very short learning curve.

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

I've only had mine for a week, but so far I'm very impressed. I sharpened more of my tools in a few hours last Sunday that I had done in the previous 3 years.

Per the demonstrator's recommendation, I tried flattening backs on the side of the wheel. I found that I could get them flat on the Tormek, then switch to waterstones to polish.

I still have to fine tune my technique to get the sharpest possible edges, but my tools are already sharper than before.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blumer
    The only thing I have found that it is not good at is flatening (sp?) the back side of planes and chisels.

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)
    Mark, I would use a float glass for that operation anyway. Thanks for your input.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I have one for about 6 years and I feel it has improved my woodworking greatly.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I love mine !

I'm terrible at sharpening, and this thing makes it a snap !
    MARK

Byron,

I guess you know from the posts of the CSBBQ that I have one as I get popular at the BBQ's sharpening people's "stuff". Since I was learning how to sharpen and kept grinding stuff to a "stub"...I decided to get a Tormek and that has made a LOT of difference in my ability to consistantly sharpen each of my tools that also makes each of my tools last longer.

One things for sure.....you can NOT be in a hurry when using the Tormek. It is safe to use, cool on your tool edges and very easy on the ears while sharpening.

Once I got my Tormek home.....I read the manual, went out to the shop, set it up and I sharpened the following:

2 - plane irons
    14 - Chisels
    10 - turning tools
    14 - kitchen knives
    2 - pairs of scissors for the LOML

Total time from start to finish? 3 hours

It used to take me at least 3 hours to sharpen a single chisel via water stones and by hand.

Since my tool edges are a LOT better now, they are safer to use, cut better, cut cleaner and less tiring to use. Now I have WW'ers that even save some tools to bring to the CSBBQ each year so I can sharpen their tools for them.

Does it put the "optimum" edge on your tools? No
    You can't compare the tool edge from a chisel that has been sharpened to 12,000 grit on a waterstone to a 1,000 grit water stone on the Tormek.
    Will both tool edges cut clean and nice? Yes

It all boils down to what "you" call _sharp_!!!! To me and for general woodworking? The Tormek is GREAT.

YMMV, but mine has increased from 16 to 35 MPG!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Tormek and general sharpening thoughts

Byron -

I bought one Sping 04. Have used it to sharpen everything in sight. I have better luck with it than the roller guide sharpening hone. Some general comments in no particular order:
    • Look for it on sale or with package deals.
    • It comes with a universal jig that will do plane blades and chisels. You will need at least one other jig.
    • Most combo packs have; a jig, a cover, an angle gauge, some honing paste, a diamond stone dresser, and a grading stone. Look at the accessory packs closely and buy the one that fits your usage. Add the other jigs seperately. (I bought the "Cabinet Maker's Kit" to get the jointer/planer knife jig.)
    • Practice getting the water tray in and out with no water a few times. Takes some techinque.
    • It is very slow if you need to remove a bunch of metal to change a profile. A regular grinding wheel is a good place to start in that case.
    • Make sure the video tape is in the box. It is very helpful.
    • It is EXCEPTIONALLY quick and easy to keep tools sharp after they have been initially sharpened. This is true all the way from bowl gouges to plane irons to planer knives.
    • The angle gauge makes it very easy to get the desired angle on the edge of your tools.

Last one: It is remarkable how much easier it is to work with sharp tooks - no matter how they got that way. {Now some of you at this point will say, "Well no kidding!" } But proper sharpening will cost some money, no matter what technique you go with. Pick the one that works well for you and keep your tools sharp - they are safer!

Where did you see Norm demonstrating the Tormek?

Regards,
    Ted
    Last edited by Ted Shrader; 12-10-2004 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Byron -

Where did you see Norm demonstrating the Tormek?

Regards,
    Ted
    Ted, he had a guy come in on one of his shows. I don't remember when but I recorded it (mpg file) and watched the other day. The purpose of the show was to build a sharpening station. I can burn it to a cd and mail it to you but I don't think you would get much from it.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Byron -

No, thanks. I was just curious if you saw him do it live or on the NYW.

Ted

the guy Norm had come in

is the owner/ceo of SharpToolsUSA, the distributor for Tormek here in the US. Or, at least that's my understanding. He was in San Mateo a few weeks ago at the WW show, and yes, I bought one.

Dennis,
    That is how I feel...they are sharp enough and if the wood is really hard like Shedua...you can resharpen fast. If it were sharper in a couple of taps with mallet it is where the Tormek would have taken it anyway....

Does it put the "optimum" edge on your tools? No
    You can't compare the tool edge from a chisel that has been sharpened to 12,000 grit on a waterstone to a 1,000 grit water stone on the Tormek.
    Will both tool edges cut clean and nice? Yes

It all boils down to what "you" call _sharp_!!!! To me and for general woodworking? The Tormek is GREAT.

YMMV, but mine has increased from 16 to 35 MPG![/QUOTE]
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I've had mine for a few years and it's a great grinder that's good to your tools. However, it will not get edges real sharp. It's good enough for turning tools, most carving tools (if you strop) and for reestablishing the bevel on chisels and plane irons but for chisels and plane irons I hone them with Shapton stones if I want a truely sharp tool. The edge produced by the Tormek is very good but for fine cuting operations (shoulder planes, smoothing planes, paring chisels, etc) you need to go a few steps beyond the Tormek (or any grinder). The Tormek (as well as other grinders) is not appropriate for all edge tools - for example mortise chisels (you really need a flat grind so use stones or a belt sander), and it's not very good for flatening backs. So, besides the Tormek you will need to use some other sharpening methods for some tools. Myself, I use an 8" dry grinder, Tormek, and 1x42" belt sander for initial edge work, scary sharp or Shapton stones for flattening, and then Shapton stones or oil stones for honing. When the shop is cold I tend to use oil stones more as they won't crack in freezing weather (a water stone will crack if there is any water in the stone when it freezes).