Thread: Epilog auto focus

Epilog auto focus

When I am cutting thin plastics like the Romark Flexi Brass brushed (.020) material, I find that it warps and cups while I am in the middle of a vector cut. The strips are between 1.5" to 3.5" wide and 22" or so long.

My idea is to make some hold downs that would take care of maybe 80% of the movement. I would like to use 3/16 x 1 x 22" cold rolled bar stock and create a .040 rabbet for the material to slide under.

I have about 5/16" clearance now using a 1.5" focal lens.

The issue is that I will need to remove the auto focus plunger on my Epilog mini 24 to have more clearance. Also in case I need to hold down thicker material down the road using different custom hold downs.

Has anyone removed their plunger? I can see what looks like a small allen screw on the side. Is it that easy?

Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Robert, I removed mine some time back because the plunger kept catching stuff. Very simple to remove, grab hold of the large piece above the 'springy' plunger where it meets the laser head and twist it. It will unscrew, just make sure that you put it somewhere safe, also watch for the spring when you have unscrewed it. Removing it will not harm your laser, just remember that you are on manual focus all the time too or you will push the workpiece right into the lens.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

see the picture below. Where my finger is and where the grub screw is, that is the part that you get hold of with your thumb and index finger. A small twist and it will unscrew. DON'T REMOVE THE SMALL GRUB SCREW - that stays in! Note too the spring that is still there, make sure you put it safe with the rest of the plunger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Frank,

Thanks for the reply and the detailed pic.

Exactly what I was looking for. I used the auto focus a few times when I first got the laser but gave it up after hitting the plunger on thicker stock. No doubt a typical experience for most newbies.

Off to the shop to make my new hold downs

Robert

Also remember that the auto focus plunger is your upper table limit as well. So if you use the auto focus on the driver the table will go up and not stop. Your table will top up! HEADS UP!
    Gary

Good point Gary.

Don't think I will ever use it again. I am very happy with the manual focus that I never even give auto a second thought.

I removed the auto focus after a few days of use. The chances of the plunger missing the object and damaging something is more with auto focus ON. After years of use without AF never missed it.
    Kim

Mine stopped working a few months ago, it would go up and stop correctly, but just kept going down.. Epilog said replace the ribbon cable, and if that does not work, the problem may be in the table motor.. I just stopped using it.. I haven't pulled off the plunger yet, wasn't sure what I had to undo first.. Thanks Frank.. Tomorrow I will take the plunge... right off the machine...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Well I took it out and it was so easy. Now there is so much clearance!

Thanks again Frank.

Robert

The reason the table kept going down is beacuse the auto focus plunger maybe stuck in the up poistion. If you take off your I-beam cover you will see a PCB right above the lens assembly. When the auto plunger goes up you will see a small black square piece go up to were the PCB is at. The small black piece maybe getting stuck against the PCB. The PCB has 2 allen screws on it. Sometimes you can loosen those screws and move the PCB a little bit to give the plunger room to go up and down.

Hope this helps!

Gary

in the mean time you may use double sided tape to hold it to the vector grid.

I use it anyway with the small stuff as sometimes the air assist will move the piece.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

HI guys i hope i get an answer here,with the auto focus is there one for 2inch and a different one for 1.5 lens?
    cheers

Before you remove it, spray some WD40 / cleaner of your choice in/around it and work it in....move the AF up and down to clean it - dust has prevented mine from "returning to zero" if you will.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01