Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is an 8 1/2" Miter Saw useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wheeler View Post
    I have no real idea of what I would be using this shop for, besides general woodwork.
    You can't expect to get specific answers when you don't know yourself what you plan to do.

Maybe you should wait until you have some projects in mind before you ask what tools you need.

The reason you got so many different answers, is because everyone does different kinds of work, and works differently.

You said,

"... I could have 3 8" ..."

Have you thought about why?

Also, portability is no concern or issue.
    and
    I have no real idea of what I would be using this shop for, besides general woodwork. But I want a shop setup and then a portable setup.
    I have:
    - DeWalt 10" non-slider - my shop-chop saw.
    - Ryobi 10" non-slider - my jobsite go to saw.
    - Workforce 8.5" slider - another jobsite saw.
    - Delta 8.5" non-slider - my ultra portable saw.

In addition, I have a track saw (Festool), a Ridgid TS3660 (my shop saw), a Hitachi jobsite 10" table saw, a Dremel Multimax and a Harbor Freight Multifunction tool.
    Toss is three Dremels & a RotoZip (with the disk attachment), a crosscut saw, two reciprocating saws (a 14amp Bosch for tough jobs)(a 10amp DeWalt for most of the jobs), a GMC jig saw a small hacksaw that stows in the tool chest - -
    & I have pretty much all my bases covered - both for on the road and around the shop.

The DeWalt recip saw, the HF Multifunction and the small Delta go "on the road" 99.999999999999% of the time I need to toss "some tools in the van for whatever may come up".

Don't underestimate the value of having a small portable efficient tool, like an 8.5" non-slider. You may think the portability factor is a non-issue,,,but,,,that's only because you've never had one &/or more important, had one there when you needed it.
    That little Delta makes laser straight cuts that a circ saw can't come close to.

Now - having sung the praises, I have to be 100% honest. If/when the 8.5" saws go, I won't replace them. I'll run the Ryobi onsite until it dies, then run the DeWalt.

Why?

It's all about the blades. 8.5" blades are killers. If/when you find them, they are way more expensive than a similar 10". Plus the selection is limited. If you're lucky, the store will stock a "fine" tooth and a medium-coarse tooth. Usually, the stores only stock one or the other.
    IIRC, I paid somewhere around $40 for the one 8.5" DeWalt and $35 for the other DeWalt.

What I'd really like to see is a decent 7.25" CMS. One that could take cheap 7.25" blades.

Eric-
    My philosophy is to acquire tools as you need them. I like tool collectin' as much as the next guy (probably more than he). But there are a million tools I wanna get this year that I didn't even know existed last year.

I have always started with a project, then acquired the tools necessary (desirable) to complete it. You might find a bandsaw suits you better than an arsenal of chopsies.

As for the panel saw, I DEFINITELY say wait on that. See how far a good circular saw and a guide gets you. You may never need a panel saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    What I'd really like to see is a decent 7.25" CMS. One that could take cheap 7.25" blades.
    Yep. I spent a lot of time looking for one for just that reason -- not just the cheap blades, but the ability of the saw to use common 7 1/4 inch blades, which are readily available in all types and quality levels. As far as I can see, Craftsman is the only one out there. I bought one and frankly, it's not bad at all. I'm not a big fan of Craftsman tools, but in this day and age, with every brand compromised, they're actually rising above the fray on occasion. $119 on sale right now. Mine was $99.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G10

Last edited by John Mark Lane; 08-17-2010 at 9:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    You can't expect to get specific answers when you don't know yourself what you plan to do.

Maybe you should wait until you have some projects in mind before you ask what tools you need.

The reason you got so many different answers, is because everyone does different kinds of work, and works differently.

You said,

"... I could have 3 8" ..."

Have you thought about why?
    Yeah, I know its hard to wan answers when I don't know have direct plans myself. As far as getting projects lined up, I don't really have an area for a shop to get projects and to get needs ideas down. My intention is to try to piece my shop together a little at a time with what funding I have...cuz if I build the polebarn for my shop, I will have no many left to put tools in it. So I am trying to get a bit of a collection built up until I run out of a room, then I HAVE to build the barn. I said I cold have 3 8" CMS because one guy mentioned he'd love to have 3 CMS and a RAS had he had the space. And I am trying to decide between 8 and/or 10 and/or 12, or if more experienced guys would find it better to have 3 8" and a RAS instead of one of each, or some other combination. So I can piece together my tools and run out of space so the wife forces me to build the barn that she is now against...Well, not against the barn, against the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Don't underestimate the value of having a small portable efficient tool, like an 8.5" non-slider. You may think the portability factor is a non-issue,,,but,,,that's only because you've never had one &/or more important, had one there when you needed it.
    That little Delta makes laser straight cuts that a circ saw can't come close to.

Sorry, you must've missed in my earlier post that I mentioned I wanted separate shop tools and portable tools...so in this particular thread, portability and space is no issue, because I am building a huge barn part of which will be the shop, and I will have separate tools and equipment for on the road tools.

Yeah a 7 1/4" slider would be cool to get cheap blades. I say slider cuz it seems it'd have a bit more capacity.
    Eric Wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Eric-
    My philosophy is to acquire tools as you need them. I like tool collectin' as much as the next guy (probably more than he). But there are a million tools I wanna get this year that I didn't even know existed last year.

I have always started with a project, then acquired the tools necessary (desirable) to complete it. You might find a bandsaw suits you better than an arsenal of chopsies.

As for the panel saw, I DEFINITELY say wait on that. See how far a good circular saw and a guide gets you. You may never need a panel saw.
    Yeah, makes a bit of sense. Some of these tools I don't plan on getting until I actually need them, such as the panel saw, and a track saw, etc. As of now I am trying to acquire CMS and other smaller equipment that I can keep hidden for a while, and also trying to get help deciding what I'd need in general so I can watch and wait for deals, instead of having to take what I can get cuz I "need" now, for this job.
    Eric Wheeler

I have had a craftsman 81/4 over 10 years, and I have no complaints. I have thought about getting a larger one, but the 81/4 has done ever thing I have wanted it to.
    Paul

Eric,
    Sorry I rambled on so much that it obscured an important point.
    While I try to keep my "road" and "shop" tools seperate, they cross paths so often it's impossible to do so.

Sometimes - as is the case with the 8.5" saws, the portability factor makes them quicker, easier and safer to use - even around the shop.

Somebody else mentioned above about finding a use for a tool simply because you have it. I've found that to be very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wheeler View Post
    also trying to get help deciding what I'd need in general so I can watch and wait for deals, instead of having to take what I can get cuz I "need" now, for this job.
    I think that's a smart approach (as if I'm an authority )

I'm always on the lookout too. However, the most money is to be saved looking for tablesaws, bandsaws, jointers, and planers. This is where the best deals appear on the used market (gross generalization).

But far be it from me to discourage tool purchases and window shopping.

Sorry to bring this one back up. But after rereading it, and lots of other thinking and considering, I didn't find answers to my secondary questions. And now that I have a new saw, I can better decide.

So, I have a 10" CMS and a 10" RAS. I plan on getting an 8" CMS, for the accuracy factor that was mentioned earlier. Would anyone see a reasonable point for needing a 12" CMS or SCMS? Besides for portability, cuz I will eventually have a portable set up and a shop set up. This question is pertained to shop set up. Or would a 12" CMS or SCMS be more useful and get rid of the 10" CMS? Or would you recommend that I just need an 8" CMS and the 10" RAS.

I know most will think of shop size first, and it was mentioned earlier, that it's be nice to have the space for 3 CMS and an RAS, I do have a plan that I think shop size won't matter at this point. I want to make a bench on one side of my 24' wall and inlay RAS in the center, and do the same idea on the other side to have an inlay for the CMS's right in the center and have each CMS mounted to a table that slides into the void and it makes it level with the bench height. So I think space isn't an issue, I can keep them under the bench till needed then swap out if I end up needing one of the bigger CMS's
    Eric Wheeler

If you have a 10" CMS and a 10" RAS already, I wouldn't waste any money on an 8". Unless you have a pretty cheap or really beat up 10" accuracy is going to be just fine. For that matter, a cheap beat up 8" won't be any more accurate than a cheap beat up 12" lol.

What model 10", and is it in pretty good shape?

the CMS is nice....I use mine a lot, but I have absolutely no desire for a 2nd one. Even if you're thinking you'd spend $150 on the 8" you're planning on buying, assuming you didn't just hit the lottery I'd spend that money on a tool that isn't redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Houseal View Post
    If you have a 10" CMS and a 10" RAS already, I wouldn't waste any money on an 8". Unless you have a pretty cheap or really beat up 10" accuracy is going to be just fine. For that matter, a cheap beat up 8" won't be any more accurate than a cheap beat up 12" lol.

What model 10", and is it in pretty good shape?

the CMS is nice....I use mine a lot, but I have absolutely no desire for a 2nd one. Even if you're thinking you'd spend $150 on the 8" you're planning on buying, assuming you didn't just hit the lottery I'd spend that money on a tool that isn't redundant.
    I have a Delta 36-075 10" Got it for $20 cuz it fell off a sawhorse and broke the motor casing and the guy wasn't smart enough to push the brushes in far enough to slide it back over the armature. $20 and some Gorilla Glue later...I have a pretty nice CMS. And I'd be looking for a similar deal on the 8" as well, I won't spend more than $75 on one, and will keep looking til I find a good one that cheap...and definitely won't spend the money on it for a while unless it is less than $50, cuz like you said, it's a redundant tool for me, where I could much more use a table saw for instance. Which is next on my list...I'm just trying to get more of a list built up, so I have my eyes peeled for those things incase a deal pops up. I won't hit the lottery, cuz I don't play it, but when you find a smokin' deal, it is just like winning the lottery, and I can't pass it up...
    Eric Wheeler

I have my miter saw on a portable Ridgid brand stand. Would not have it any other way. Super easy to set up and take down.

I have had an eye out for a sliding miter saw. Was looking at Lowe's and noticed the 12" Bosch and 10" DeWalt had about the same cutting capacity.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    Yep. I spent a lot of time looking for one for just that reason -- not just the cheap blades, but the ability of the saw to use common 7 1/4 inch blades, which are readily available in all types and quality levels. As far as I can see, Craftsman is the only one out there. I bought one and frankly, it's not bad at all. I'm not a big fan of Craftsman tools, but in this day and age, with every brand compromised, they're actually rising above the fray on occasion. $119 on sale right now. Mine was $99.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G10

I have been looking at sliding miter saws and have noticed that the Bosch, Craftsman and JET models all look like they are produced by the same vendor.
    Look at this 10" Bosch vs the Craftsman above.
    http://cache.vendaria.com/vpop/VpopV...sch%20Demo&tp=
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale