Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How big is your shop??

My shop is 26 x 50, with about 9' ceiling. I have a unisaw, with the long rails, a go609 jointer, and an 18" woodmaster. Also have 3 router tables, plan to get rid of one, a sliding miter saw, a mm16, edge sander, and a bench about 9' long. Also have a lumber/ plywood rack about 5 x 14', so the ply can lay flat, and extended for lumber storage on a couple shelves. I put the lumber rack in front of an overhead door so I can just raise the door for plywood and lumber delivery. Also have lumber piled along a couple walls, one pile has stickers, ane the other is dry. My saw jointer and planer are situated so I can rip 16' boards, and the router tables are spaced so that they fit between the paths of lumber being sawed, planed etc. I have a work area in front of the machines I use for glue ups, on a couple of sawhorses in front of the machines, when I need to rip long boards, I just move the horses etc. The bandsaw and edge sander are sitting together to share a drop from dust collector, as both are 4" and dc is 6". They are about 4' from my workbench, and the bench is about 5' from south wall with windows. Would like to get a drum or widebelt sander, but where to put it? It seems fairly spacious except when I'm into a kitchen or several other pieces at the same time. Not enough storage, and no finish room. Starting over, I'd go 36 wide.

22x22 two car garage.... with a car and a 4x4 in it.... Tools go around the outside and some on wheels so I can pull out the vehicles to use them.

My shop is 24x32 with 8 ft ceilings. It is insulated and heated all winter long. In it I have a 11x17 spray room with fan for exhausting the fumes. I also have lumber and project storage in this room as I don't use it for spraying very often. My main shop is an "L" shape due to the spray room. For tools I have a pm66 with 52" biesemeyer, 5hp shaper w/ 1 hp powerfeed, large router table, 2 dust collectors, performax 16-32, rigid oss, 6" jointer, lunch box planer built into a 7 ft long mobile cabinet which allows for a long infeed and outfeed, 14" bandsaw, benchtop bandsaw, air compressor, etc... plus lots of cabinets and peg board storing all the other hand/power tools. I have gotten rid of all the plastic tool cases. IMHO they are a waste of space.

I would love to double the size of the shop and have 10ft ceilings in the future. But the LOML wants that sunroom addition first.

4. Hiow big is my workshop? Not big enough. No matter how big you make it, it will never be big enough

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    Hiow big is my workshop? Not big enough. No matter how big you make it, it will never be big enough

Nor will it ever have enough machines. Every time I buy the "last" machine I find another I need/want.

Right now I am designing and planning for a second shop at our second home, I settled on 30X35. It will house the usual suspects:

2 BS
    TS
    DP
    Jointer
    Planer
    OSS
    Drum sander
    Edge sander
    work bench
    and a couple of router tables

I would like to have about 300-400 extra square feet but it just doesn't make sense on the lot our house is on. I have more square footage at my primary home with basically the same machines BUT it is a multi-purpose building that has a lot of other crap in it and the WWing area is probably only about 600 FT^2 and is pretty tight with the machines I have in it.

6. shop

Mine is 20x22 with 11' ceiling, when we had the house built we did a 4 car and i walled of the last 2 bays as the shop. Just finished it and getting started but it seems OK for now. I'm sure i will want to get a bigger one in the near future as i start working on things. Tools Sawstop with 52" fence, 18" bandsaw, 16 floor drill press, 6" Jointer, Midi Lathe, delta dust collector, Planer, rigid Sander, CMS 12", heater in the ceiling, snow blower. It seems pretty good right now but once the honey moon is over of having a shop like i said i'll probably want more, but i'm happy.

Peter

Blog Entries
    460 sq feet which is dedicated and well insulated. Perfect one man shop (2 on occasion) and it's easy to heat and cool. Not sure I'd change anything as I considered most everything before building it. Possibly no garage door and a double door instead, but that's about it.

600 square feet...

A 2 car garage (24'x26') and I have a heated 12'x20' shed for finishing and wood storage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 08-19-2010 at 6:39 AM.

19x25

Freestanding building whose foot print was dictated by site- I got every inch I could out of the location.
    I run a business out of the shop and spent a great deal of time designing the machinery layout and window/door openings so everything would work out.
    So far enough room to process the rough lumber into the types of projects I get contracts for. I used scissor trusses to get ceiling height.

I have: Unisaw with 63" fence, Delta HD shaper, a 12" combination jointer/planer, 16" band saw, 14" band saw, bench drill press, floor drill press, 12x 36 wood lathe (floor stand), Heavy 24" scroll saw (floor stand), router table, long miter station and a truck load of portable power.
    I have a 5x8 outfeed bench in the center and have benched out two walls.
    It is a great shop- enough room and good quality tools.

Blog Entries
    Wow - not sure I'd see the inside of the house much with that to play in.

About 20 x 30 - half of an L-shaped basement.

Pros:

• In the same building as my living space
    • Climate controlled
    • Can expand into the other half if I need to

Cons:

• Ceilings < 8'
    • Two poles down the center of the space are always in the way
    • No ground-level access so getting heavy stuff in and out is a challenge

Mike

about 8x10

Basement shop

My shop is mostly in 1/2 of my basement...18'x30', though I could expand a little. The boiler, hot water heater, sump, bilco door access and electrical panels are on the other side...and there isn't any real lighting. But, that hasn't stopped me from storing rough lumber and a few saw horses there.

I don't get much natural light, with only one small bank of windows 12" tall and 36" long at the ceiling. There are a few posts at one end breaking up the space a little. Concrete floor is a bit rough and not exactly flat, but I do have a full 8' of ceiling and since I am 5'4" it is plenty of clearance. It is nice a cool in the summer, if a bit damp in the summer and I keep dehumidifier runs 24/7 these days. In the winter it dries up nicely and stays warm.

I have a little bit of a tight clearance behind the table saw out feed table, but I don't like cutting full 8' sheets anyhow. Otherwise I have plenty of space for a new 7' workbench, cabinet saw with 52" rails and dedicated outfeed table, floor drill press, 8" jointer, 13" planer, sharpening/grinding station, hollow chisel mortising table, and small back bench with cabinet.

I think the first thing you have to ask is what will I be building in this shop. If you are building boats then you will need a lot larger shop then if you just plan on building small boxes.

My shop is 12x16 and it works fine for me most of the time, with what I have been building, small things nothing bigger then a large cabinet.

I can not handle a full sheet of plywood and have to break it down in the garage before I can do anything with it in the shop.

Just click on the next in the upper right of the screen and you can turn around in my shop, I have all the basic tools that I need.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/111944699

My shop is 16 x 16, built it myself with a little help from my son. It holds my Delta contractor table saw, Rikon 14" deluxe band saw, Craftsman 14" drill press, old iron 19" x 8 foot lathe (no name), homemade router table, Wilton 2 x 72 belt grinder, 12 inch lunchbox planer, 6 inch jointer, 300 feet kiln dried wood in various species and lots of hand tools. I have another 1000 feet of wood in the loft of my log barn and some stacked outside under tin.

Hope to be moving soon and will have a basement single garage shop, 14 x 22 and a side room for storage.

Later I plan to build a new shop there and not sure what it will be except bigger.