Thread: sign info

sign info

I have heard several of the sign makers talk about corian and using it to make signs with.

I had some very large pieces of corian given to me and wouldnt mind making some things for myself out of them.

What I am wondering is if any business makes a set of letters that are cursive or something other than just a straight up ABC to use with a router. I do not have any type of cnc etc. If money were no problem I think I could easily be interested in one but not at this time.

I would also be interested in any sites that anyone know of for design stencils of this type, in other words not just ABC.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I make signs using Corian but I do use a CNC, Corian is just like wood by that I mean you can use a hand held router and a sharp bit.

Rockler has a interlock signmaker's template where you use a hand held router. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...uter%20letters
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

A 2K answer is the Sears or LHR CarveWright "Hobby" CNC.....

I hear the snickering.....

I use many fonts and the job below is made using the "Amery" font.

I have 4 of the CarveWright's and have used them to cut out letters. I have a pending job cutting letters out of PVC Board.

There are many used machines on the market for the electro mechanical savvy folks... The early machines did have lots of failures. Broken machines go for as little as $500.00 and are easy to FIX....

I post help advice on the LHR CarveWright Forum under Digitalwoodshop.

I make a bunch of small carved wooden signs and even use it to cut Tag Stock for my Sublimation part of the business on the CarveWright.

LHR has released the "C" model that has addressed almost every early problem.

Worth a look...

The machine is designed with a feed rate for Soft WOOD... We get a depth per pass for cut path functions that lets me pick .27 or .4 inch for .75 wood. I use the .4 for hard pine and .27 for oak. If you do it in one pass, you risk snapping a $40.00 1/8 inch bit. I broke 2 last week, first in months.

If you design a project with a cut out and assign the 1/4 inch bit but use a 1/8 bit, the 1/4 inch bit has a default slow cutting feed rate. Use a 1/8 and it will use the slowest for the turns and corners but a faster feed rate for straight cuts.

Yes, the machine has limitations but for the money you can't beat it in my opinion... Yes the Big Boys have smaller machines that have advantages but for your Corian project, this would do...

It does have a 14.5 inch wide and a 12 foot length limitation. Weight is also a issue as the sand paper belts move the board in the Y Axis and can stall with too much weight. Limitations yes... But a good fit for my shop.

Used the 4 foot box in the picture to scale Corel Draw lettering for the Zoning Paperwork and know how big to cut the letters with my CarveWright.

Make a bunch of clocks and signs with the machine too, plus wine racks and more. The Ceramic Tile is Sublimated on the clock.

The Trailer of Signs paid for the first machine and the second $500.00 broken machine.

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 08-24-2010 at 9:01 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".