Thread: Near Fitchburg, Mass. and a Turner? Need Wood?

Near Fitchburg, Mass. and a Turner? Need Wood?

I noted a new ad on CL when I got home today, if you are in my area, (North Central Massachusetts/ South Central N.H.), then you need to give this family a call. The dad was a turner, and has between 300 to 400 bowl blanks. Many were already roughed out, I took only a dozen, but after I was given the tour, realized I had to pass this info along to fellow turners. There is too many to let a woodburning stove have any of these. Nice family, that appreciates a a turned bowl, and wants to ensure these go to craftsman, or in my case, a maker of sawdust and shavings.

here is the ad: My dad was an enthusiastic collector and wood worker / wood turner. He had a lot of seasoned wood for turning projects. He is no longer with us,
    much of his project wood is. It would help us to know his wood was given to a fellow Craftsman. To the right person they are free. If you are one
    or know one please call us at 978-343-7888 to arrange a time to pick them up and put them to use.

Please pass the word along, and, if you go, please let them know I sent you their way, I promised to post this as soon as I got home.

It's a sad thing, but what a good deal for a woodturner!! Wish I was close enough!! I'll bet they won't last long. Good on ya, David!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I'd love to take advantage of this offer but I'm traveling most of the next month an won't be able to get up there.

Have you (or they) perhaps contacted The Association of Revolutionary Turners, Central New England Woodturners or South Shore Woodturners clubs?
    I'm a member of Cape Cod Woodturners so I'll put the word out but those other clubs would find Fitchburg quite accessible.

Jim

David, That sounds exciting. Did you notice what species of wood he had?
    Fred

Well, there's an act of love being passed on. Nice little legacy, and good for you to share that with the brothers and sisters on the Creek!
    Turn em if you got em.... no guarantees you'll get to them next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Silva View Post
    I'd love to take advantage of this offer but I'm traveling most of the next month an won't be able to get up there.

Have you (or they) perhaps contacted The Association of Revolutionary Turners, Central New England Woodturners or South Shore Woodturners clubs?
    I'm a member of Cape Cod Woodturners so I'll put the word out but those other clubs would find Fitchburg quite accessible.

Jim
    If there are that many blanks maybe the local turning club could get a bunch and have members turn some for some charitable purposes, like some auctions. I have donated several pieces to a couple fundraiser auctions and they are well-received. It would be a good way to pay it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    David, That sounds exciting. Did you notice what species of wood he had?
    Fred
    The piles had mostly local woods, Oak, Maple, Walnut and Cherry. Some Maple were spalted, and I passed on a small chunk of Locust (I think). I am a newbie to turning, and already had a small supply of wood from a guy I bought some tools from, so I couldn't take more than what I thought I could work this fall and winter. I did take one Burl of Oak, and noted a few spread out in the sheds. I am only a few miles away, and will check back in next week, if their pile is getting small, I will help with cleaning up. I hope the pile can be spread amongst a fair number of turners, and not just one ambitious person.

Free Turning blanks

I was remiss when I mentioned about the wood, if you are going to be in the North Central Mass area,to check out/ or pick up some wood, please send a note and I would enjoy having you visit my shop, and share a cup of coffee.
    I counted what I took yesterday, there was 16 pieces, although I did take 3 roughed out bowls. I also forgot to mention they are selling his lathe. It was a General (IIRC), and being that I am not into turning enough to know what it was, I thought it was a metal lathe. The son also turns, but has his own supply and lathe, it didn't sound like he was taking anymore of the wood to his own shop. It had an adjustable speed handle on the front, and it looked heavy. I have an older Delta (Cabinet) Lathe, but this looks about 10 times heavier.

David,

Thanks for posting this. I will be heading out there this weekend.

Phil

Thanks David,
    I will be in the area visiting my parents and am hoping to make it as well. I have tried calling but have not had any luck so far. Hopefully will get a hold of them soon.
    Cheers

Update and Collaboration Photos

The woodturner was Aime La Fosse. He seems to have been a turner of some skill!
    His children Ginny and Mike really wanted to see the wood go to good use.
    I contacted her about my friend Charlie Croteau and the work he does with the "Free Wheelchairs Mission."
    Charlie and I went over the next day and along with some other turners went through a HUGE amount of wood... Charlie and I took out two truck loads of turnable stock in various stages of completion. I left most of it with him and took some home with me.
    Charlie gives the wood to turners, in his and several other turning clubs, including one of my clubs "Old Country Guild of Woodturners" in Schenectady. We take the wood and use it as we like, returning some of it to Charlie as finished pieces... Charlie sends the best of the best (and he gets some really NICE stuff) to the California headquarters where it gets auctioned off, often for surprising prices - charity, you know. The rest he sells at woodworking shows.
    One of the pieces I took home was this little banksia pod ball. I didn't do anything to it except add a redesigned finial and a little foot.
    I have some other pieces that I will finish as collaborations and donate, along with the story to the Free Wheelchairs Mission project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Change One Thing

An SUV load of wood came home with me and my bride a couple of days after George's visit. We traveled 200 miles each way to pick up the wood. Mike and Ginny are lovely people, and yes, they really did want the wood to go to those who would actually use it. I'll be turning my first piece from that wood soon.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Such neat stories - and, I would only hope that each of us could leave a similar legacy! I continually inform Ms. Keeton about the value of some of my tools, wood, etc., to insure that she realizes that she shouldn't just call the local junk dealer and have it hauled off!!!

John,

You may want to reconsider giving Ms. Keeton incentives for your demise based on the value of your tools. She might put out a contract on you.

One thing I forgot to mention about our trip to Fitchburg is that after we loaded up with wood, we drove to Dave Robert's house. He gave us a tour of his shop (built in a very nice new barn building), then we sat and had coffee on his patio.

It was a lovely way to meet a Creeker and relax before the long drive back to NJ.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Zenreich View Post
    John,

You may want to reconsider giving Ms. Keeton incentives for your demise based on the value of your tools. She might put out a contract on you.
    Not to worry, she has an equally outrageous supply of sewing, quilting and craft supplies, machines, and goodness knows what else!! The field is level in that regard!