Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0698

Grizzly G0698

I ordered my Grizzly G0698 Lathe yesterday. Like Mike said they are on back order. Grizzly said that they are due in their Missouri warehouse on Oct 15, so I should have it shortly after that.

They also told me that there was an error in there printed catolog: That the Speed Range of 0 - 3200 was wrong. It should read 100 - 3200. I guess that addresses the hunting issue that Roger had pointed out that happens under 100 RPMs.

Can't wait.

Sounds like a plan Bill. Can't wait to see some turnings off of it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bulloch View Post
    I ordered my Grizzly G0698 Lathe yesterday. Like Mike said they are on back order. Grizzly said that they are due in their Missouri warehouse on Oct 15, so I should have it shortly after that.

They also told me that there was an error in there printed catolog: That the Speed Range of 0 - 3200 was wrong. It should read 100 - 3200. I guess that addresses the hunting issue that Roger had pointed out that happens under 100 RPMs.

Can't wait.

Bill,

You are correct Sir, regarding the speed range.........what Grizzly did was to change the advertised speed range to meet what the programing of the inverter does.

Just to let you know, my unit has gotten better over time as the machine has gotten broken in. My lathe will pretty much rotate smoothly at about 75 rpms on low belt setting without hunt and about 180 on the high belt setting. Now Grizzly won't make that an official thing, and mostly they probably look at that as subjective on my part, but it has improved.

That being said, there is not hardly any difference between sanding at 100rpm, and 50 rpm! Turning at 100 rpm is a snails pace, and is nothing but frustrating if you ask me

I think you will like the G0698! Let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with..........Congratulations!

Don't be surprised if they get it to you a little quicker......I think they pride themselves in doing better than they tell the customer. They want you to have a great customer service experience. At least that has been my experience with them, so far.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

4. Bill,

I was wondering if you can transfer your chucks etc. over to the new Grizzly? It has a 1-1/4 x 8 tpi. spindle, and I wasn't sure what your older version was.

Will you have to get spindle adapters?

Is the price they are asking for this still the same intro price they were asking when they first came out?

I was looking for a lathe about a year ago and I think I saw someware where the price will most likely go up in the next catalog, any truth to that?

I want to get a lathe for this winter, when would be a good time to pull the trigger?

Thanks

Jay

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jagerson View Post
    Is the price they are asking for this still the same intro price they were asking when they first came out?

I was looking for a lathe about a year ago and I think I saw someware where the price will most likely go up in the next catalog, any truth to that?

I want to get a lathe for this winter, when would be a good time to pull the trigger?

Thanks

Jay
    Jay,
    That is my understanding, and that came to me from someone who had talked with the guys at tech support. The current price of $1295.00 is an "introductory" price.

The new catalog comes out generally Jan.1st of the new year.

Thats good news then, I can wait until Oct or Nov to place an order. Will have to keep an eye open for a Coupon!

Guess I need to decide if I want the Delta Mini or this one, its been a year and I still have no clue

Jay

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jagerson View Post
    Thats good news then, I can wait until Oct or Nov to place an order. Will have to keep an eye open for a Coupon!

Guess I need to decide if I want the Delta Mini or this one, its been a year and I still have no clue

Jay
    Jay,

Only one problem with your plan.........Grizzly only gets a certain number of units in their shipments, and usually they sell out before the order comes in, so if you really want one, you need to get on the list because they fill the back orders that are purchased first, then distribute to the 3 warehouses if they have any left over. This is due to the pace and available capacity of the manufacturer, and not necessarily anything on Grizzly's part.

If I were serious, then I would go ahead and order, if I had the resources, otherwise, it might be next year before a new shipment comes from the manufacturer, and thus a price increase as well.

I will also say, that I think the quality control inspection with Grizzly is better than some other vendors who might carry a similar machine.

[QUOTE=Roger Chandler;1519007]Bill,

I was wondering if you can transfer your chucks etc. over to the new Grizzly? It has a 1-1/4 x 8 tpi. spindle, and I wasn't sure what your older version was.

Will you have to get spindle adapters?[/QUOTE]

My other lathes are 1 x 8 TPI and the chucks will not fit on the Grizzly. I could buy the adapters, but, since I am keeping the other lathes, I just ordered me two new Chucks: A Supernova2 and a Oneway Stronghold.

[QUOTE=Jay Jagerson]
    Is the price they are asking for this still the same intro price they were asking when they first came out?[/QUOTE]

The Price for the lathe is the same: $1295.00, but they have incresed the shipping price form $139.00 to @144.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Jay,

Only one problem with your plan.........Grizzly only gets a certain number of units in their shipments, and usually they sell out before the order comes in, so if you really want one, you need to get on the list because they fill the back orders that are purchased first, then distribute to the 3 warehouses if they have any left over. This is due to the pace and available capacity of the manufacturer, and not necessarily anything on Grizzly's part.

If I were serious, then I would go ahead and order, if I had the resources, otherwise, it might be next year before a new shipment comes from the manufacturer, and thus a price increase as well.

I will also say, that I think the quality control inspection with Grizzly is better than some other vendors who might carry a similar machine.
    One would hope they would honor the price if they ran out. I have no clue how they work as I have never bought from them. It sounds like I should order it now I guess!

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jagerson View Post
    One would hope they would honor the price if they ran out. I have no clue how they work as I have never bought from them. It sounds like I should order it now I guess!

Jay,
    Most likely Grizzly Industrial does not have control of the number of units the factory can produce and ship, so they most likely will stick with their introductory price up until 12/31/2010, and then those units ordered after that date will probably see an increase in price.

12. [QUOTE=Bill Bulloch;1519034]

"I just ordered me two new Chucks: A Supernova2 and a Oneway Stronghold."

2 good choices, Bill!

Here we go again

Hello Bill, Mike here just to let you no the g0698 that i orderd on 9/2 is still backordered and after promises of shipment on 9/17 then 10/31 and now 11/26, You should check with them on your order, seems that they have no clue when they will arrive if at all before years end . To bad looks like Jet will get my business got a real good price on 1642 evs from Toolnut should not have to wait 3 months and counting for any product in this global economy, Something is wrong here looks like they have underestimated the popularity of some of there products and can't deliver in a timely manner .
    Good luck with your purchase Mike !!!

14. Quote Originally Posted by mike caruso View Post
    Hello Bill, Mike here just to let you no the g0698 that i orderd on 9/2 is still backordered and after promises of shipment on 9/17 then 10/31 and now 11/26, You should check with them on your order, seems that they have no clue when they will arrive if at all before years end . To bad looks like Jet will get my business got a real good price on 1642 evs from Toolnut should not have to wait 3 months and counting for any product in this global economy, Something is wrong here looks like they have underestimated the popularity of some of there products and can't deliver in a timely manner .
    Good luck with your purchase Mike !!!

Mike,

From my experience, and understanding, I think that the problem lies in the scheduling from the factory in china. I believe they give an estimated ship date, and that is what the folks at Grizzly go by, and then if there is some delay from the factory, then the vendors here in the USA and other places are in a bit of a pickle.

Grizzly prides itself on good customer service, and I think this one is something they do not have complete control over.

I just thought of another issue that affects the things coming here from China. I heard on the news some weeks ago that there are some trade issues that the USA and China governments are having [disagreements on open markets, etc] and China has threatened some retaliation in their trade practices, and this may be a factor in slow shipments coming from China.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 10-04-2010 at 6:52 PM.

Bill, if you call I would be intrested and what they tell you. I still leaning towards the Grizz, have not placed an order yet!

Thanks

Jay