Thread: First major project

First major project

Well, I'm pretty new here, and definitely new to all wood skills. But, I did finish my first major project, a built-in for the living room. It was good fun, and so many lessons learned, I've lost count. So, since I'm such a braggart, I thought I'd post some photos here.

Assuming I successfully attach some pics, you can see the result. It's about seven feet wide, and pretty much standard ceiling height. Frames made from poplar, birch ply for the flat stock. All painted with acrylic. The counter surface is sapele. As you can tell, the cabinet doors are sliding, because there's no room to swing open (we live in a small house -- I could barely back up enough to take pictures!) The pics show it at a couple stages of completion.

Still needs a bit of trim on the outside -- not to mention the whole room needs baseboard (but that's another project) -- and some touch-up where I filled brad holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a very nice job you did Paul. Yeah.. small spaces and very good camera shots don't usually go hand in hand but.. the pic's are not bad really. The built-in looks great IMO...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

You must be pulling our legs, much too nice for a first project. The solid wood top sets it off,very nice job. Whats next?
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas love View Post
    You must be pulling our legs, much too nice for a first project. The solid wood top sets it off,very nice job. Whats next?
    tom

That's what I was thinking! I'm well past my "first project", and it's still only half as good as your work, Paul.

Great work on the built-in Paul. The project will add value to your home.
    That top adds the finishing touch. Nice job again. Looking forward to seeing your second project...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas love View Post
    tom
    As I said, first "major" project. I did a "practice" cabinet (sort of like a vanity, but with a recycled formica counter top and recycled kitchen sink) for my wife's studio, where the sloppy work wouldn't be minded. And, keep in mind that this built-in is full of flaws -- fortunately, my camera is not good enough to show them.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the kind words, and next up is kitchen cabinets! Ack! (Actually, I think I'll first try my hand at cutting boards for everyone's x-mas presents.)
    Last edited by Paul Halpern; 08-22-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Spelling correction; "wife", not "wide"!!!

Great job, looks great in the space.

Nice!

I had asked a Design question a few weeks ago about building something quite similar. I will be building a similar white carcass but using a Cherry top, seeing yours eases my mind a bit about the white shelves and solid top.

Very nice work, and those 'flaws' you refer to ... well, they are living proof that YOU built it, not some factory overseas! generally the creator is the only noticer.

Keep up the good work!

Very nice work!. BTW I have that same model of tv antenna and it works great!

very nice built ins...Im sure it will make a lot of difference in the value of your home
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Great work! Fits the room nicely and will very useful I am sure. I too am fairly new here and find this site to be a great place to meet people and find out pretty much anything you need woodworking wise!