Thread: A1 Cherry Plywood - which is the good side?

A1 Cherry Plywood - which is the good side?

I have a stupid question about some 1/2 inch cherry plywood I just bought. It is rated A1 so both sides are pretty good. One side has narrower strips on the veneer, but the color is more consistent. The other side has wider strips, but there more variation in color.

The guys at the lumberyard couldn't agree on which was the better side and said to pick the side I liked best. I can do that, but I thought I'd check with the experts here to see if there is an easy way. Maybe there is something between the A side and the 1 side that I'm missing.

Thanks,

Roger

PS - it was $93 a sheet! I'd hate to use the wrong side...

Look on the edge of the plywood. There should be writing. If the writing is right side up the "A" side would be at the top of the lettering.

Also, look carefully for other flaws. Sometimes one side of cherry ply has dark glue sploches, or checks, or filled knots, or other flaws which a cursory glance may not notice.

But in the end, I agree with the hardware store guys--choose the side you like the best.

-Steve

Thanks Leo. According to the "lettering up" strategy, the cherry is a bit greenish. I assume the green will darken with time, but it made me a little nervous. After looking at your web site you know a lot more about wood/plywood than I do!

Roger

I have used the "bad" side of plywood more than once... on purpose. Us what works best for you in a particular situation, sometimes the "bad" side is just more interesting.

Sometimes with A-1 its users choice. You may have two equally attractive faces from which to pick. In that case there is no "right" side, just the one you prefer.

I do as others have said.
    I use the side that looks best to me.

Generally, the manufacturers think that wider veneer slices are the front. However, sometimes the "back" is just as pretty, or sometimes even nicer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    Also, look carefully for other flaws. Sometimes one side of cherry ply has dark glue sploches, or checks, or filled knots, or other flaws which a cursory glance may not notice.

But in the end, I agree with the hardware store guys--choose the side you like the best.

-Steve
    Would a quick wipe down with mineral spirits help pick the right side?

Generally speaking, the A side of the sheet will be the one where the veneer was flat sliced, the B side will be rotary cut. The rotary cut veneer will typically have repeating, wild "flame" shaped grain pattern and is a single sheet, without seams. The flat sliced veneer will have strips of veneer butted next to each other as if you had glued up a table top. It may have a single "flame" non-repeating grain pattern if rift sliced, but should be noticeably different from rotary cut.

As others have mentioned, you may find a particularly nice piece of rotary cut veneer on the B side and an unremarkable flat sliced veneer on the A side. Choose which looks best, but you are paying for the A side. If you are able, inspect the plywood before you buy and pick out the best A side sheets.

Below are images of rotary, then flat sliced veneer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

well...... you can let the plywood manufacturer choose which side you use or you can pick the side you like the best

My experience with cherry ply here in the NE is that the good side is often book matched. I'm bettin on the side with the thin strips is the good side.
    Last edited by Jim Kirkpatrick; 08-25-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkpatrick View Post
    My experience with cherry ply here in the NE is that the good side is often book matched. I'm bettin on the side with the thin strips is the good side.
    The designation A-1 means that the better, wider color matched veneers will go on the front side of the plywood, the "A" side. The "1" side will have a nice veneer also, but it can be mismatched in color and grain. Usually thins doesn't present a problem until you get that switch over pc. When they start on a new pack of veneer flitches. You can have starkly different color/grain and it is still considered acceptable. This wouldn't fly on the "A" side.

Hi Jim,
    I don't know if a wipe down would help identify any flaws that you couldn't find while the cherry is dry.

Here's a picture of one of those dark sploches I mentioned. The flaw is in the lower right corner. The panel on top is certainly the A1 side, and in this case the side I will be using throughout the job. I suppose these dark marks are glue saturation problems, but I don't know for sure. All I know, is you can't sand them out, and I've regretted choosing the back side of Plywood more than once.

My main point is that no matter what side you use, be sure to look carefully at what you think looks like the best side.

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

One thing I found in plywood is that when you cut it up the "BEST" side may change because flaws are cut out. If the cut is the same (rotary vs flat) just cut them up and pick the best side.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"