Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emerald Ash borer

Emerald Ash borer

A poster [Ken] on another thread, brought up the fact that in Pennsylvania, that they cannot transport Ash wood across state lines, because of an infestation of the Emerald Ash borer, which is killing off Ash trees at an alarming rate in some areas, similar to the happenings to the American Chestnut.

Here in Virginia, they are putting out traps and are counting the little borers to see if it has happened here also. To date, I think they have had maybe a county or two where the Ash borer has been found, and they are considering restrictions on firewood, etc across some county lines as well.

Thought that I would see if this has been an issue in other areas as well. I would really hate to see these beautiful Ash trees become extinct. Let us know about it in your area.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

In the Minneapolis/St Paul area they are trying a similar thing, not transporting firewood across county lines. I have no idea on how they will be inforcing it. I read where some campers brought "non-certified" firewood into a campground. The firewood was taken from them, and get this, burned by the camground personnel.

Problem with this is, the bugs don't stop at the county line. I think they tried the same thing for Dutch Elm disease. It didn't work then, I suspect it won't work now.

I cut our last ash tree down about three years ago. Made two nice rocking chairs and a bowl from the roots.

Bill

Same here in NY (and I think PA)..they have the purple Triangle traps along many roads to try and see the spread of them.....same, no transporting of firewood, etc...
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

emerald ash borer

its been going on here for a few years now
    i've got a few trees on the property that will make good firewood
    does anyone have a picture of one?
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

the tree or the insect? Just kidding.

Just google it.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1237&bih=683
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Yeah...this issue has been going on for quite a while here in Ohio. Seems like I just read in an article somewhere that Ohio is officially doomed. They keep the "No Firewood Beyond This Point" signs on the highways...and there is plenty of newspaper ink used up on the issue, as well as TV and radio public service announcements.

I don't think the bug is listening.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

point

Dave
    that is a good point
    I guess the tree looks dead
    and the ash borer looks fat
    thanks for the correction
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Maybe we need to genetically engineer a microbe that zeroes in on something specific to these Oriental pests and turn it loose. If that microbe somehow gets transported to the Orient and gets loose, well turn about is fair play...

Regardless, its not a good idea to move firewood too far. There are all kinds of distructive organism that get moved with firewood. We turners should try our best to debark wood before we move it or ship it. There is currently a Thousand Canker disease spreading eastward from Colorado that slowly kills Walnut trees.

On the other hand, the goverment is spending a fortune to remove healthy Ash trees in an effort to stop the spread of EAB. My small town (Illinois) got a grant to cut Ash trees down and burn them. That seems like saying if the local bar closes the town drunk will quit drinking. Isn't he just going to stumble to the bar in the next town. This Borer has been proven to hitch a ride and travel on cars and trucks. Lets stop pretending that wasting money is helpful.

I may be wrong but its just sad to see the City tree crew prematurely dropping trees. The crew boss says the city is making money on the deal. Something just doesn't make sense.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    A poster [Ken] on another thread, brought up the fact that in Pennsylvania, that they cannot transport Ash wood across state lines, because of an infestation of the Emerald Ash borer, which is killing off Ash trees at an alarming rate in some areas, similar to the happenings to the American Chestnut.

Here in Virginia, they are putting out traps and are counting the little borers to see if it has happened here also. To date, I think they have had maybe a county or two where the Ash borer has been found, and they are considering restrictions on firewood, etc across some county lines as well.

Thought that I would see if this has been an issue in other areas as well. I would really hate to see these beautiful Ash trees become extinct. Let us know about it in your area.

Roger, its a very sad story. I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject, and it appears that ash trees will become like the American Chestnut. Whether you move and spread the insects or not, they are here to stay, and will be destroying trees until there are no more to destroy. I have read that in N. VA, there are several counties with confirmed infestations, and I have personally seen what I think are EAB tracks under bark in a dead ash tree in Alleghany Co. VA. That particular tree may have washed down from Bath county, but regardless, they are here in VA, and its only a matter of time. There are pesticides available, but they apparently have to be applied by an arborist, which means a couple hundred bucks a pop. You can contact the VA dept. of Forestry or look on their website for more info. I too, am very saddened by this plague.

It was imported from China. I wonder what else has been imported, that we don't need. I heard that a carp is causing a lot of trouble also, that came from China. Gipsy Moth also has caused trouble. Any more?

12. Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    Roger, its a very sad story. I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject, and it appears that ash trees will become like the American Chestnut. Whether you move and spread the insects or not, they are here to stay, and will be destroying trees until there are no more to destroy. I have read that in N. VA, there are several counties with confirmed infestations, and I have personally seen what I think are EAB tracks under bark in a dead ash tree in Alleghany Co. VA. That particular tree may have washed down from Bath county, but regardless, they are here in VA, and its only a matter of time. There are pesticides available, but they apparently have to be applied by an arborist, which means a couple hundred bucks a pop. You can contact the VA dept. of Forestry or look on their website for more info. I too, am very saddened by this plague.

Nathan,

Thanks for the info.........I will look up some of the additional info on the forestry website.

Ash trees are such a valuable resource, and for the most part they produce nice wood, useful for many purposes. I wonder if the wood is taken down, if they would allow turners to have some of it.......it might require treatment or something, but it seems a shame to just burn it in piles.

William...yes, there are lots and lots more.

Brown tree snakes, cogongrass, wild pigs, kudzu, zebra mussels, and killer bees, just to name a few.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

It's been confirmed about 80 miles away from me. We have lots (and lots, and lots) of ash on our property. We're going to have it logged, I guess, before the EAB gets here. Might as well, before it's nothing more than dead trees. I guess I'll have lots of stumps to cut and treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Schaewe View Post
    It's been confirmed about 80 miles away from me. We have lots (and lots, and lots) of ash on our property. We're going to have it logged, I guess, before the EAB gets here. Might as well, before it's nothing more than dead trees. I guess I'll have lots of stumps to cut and treat.

Cathy,

That is almost a tragedy to grieve over! It is much better to log them than to loose them for sure! Looks like a lot of ash turnings will be in your future!

Maybe you could cut up a tree or two and sell them for turning blanks!