Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emerald Ash borer

Wood is fine to use

The EAB only likes the cambium layer of the bark where the larvae cruise around eating everything and stopping the life giving sap from reaching the top of the tree thus killing it. The wood inside is just as nice as it ever was going to be. Like already said the bark must be removed and burn that up hopefully killing all the larvae and any mature beetles. Here in Wi there is something killing the bitternut hickory trees and it is being spread by some sort of beetle/borer too. On our 160 hunting property we have lost thousands of trees. I plan on taking the Woodmizer up and cutting timbers for a hunting shack on stilts soon and making as many nice boards and bowl blanks as I can. Some of the trees are 100' tall and 24" across.

In light of the Hickory being infested and the Ash soon to be threatened, lots of Ash trees on the property also, the Butternut trees are beginning to reproduce again and we are seeing more and more of them getting to the 25-30' range with some of the mature trees that survived the blight that killed them all off here years ago being 60-70' tall. I guess it is natures way of weeding out the weak and letting the strong continue on. We can only hope that not all the Ash, Hickory and any other tree threatened by bugs or disease will perish, but the ones with a will or genetic difference survive and continue to flourish.

Like already said, the govenment implements rules that make little sense and spend millions to fight these things, just like CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) in deer and elk with no solution on how to stop them. They figure cut them all down or kill everything in sight will stop it and it never does. We are our own best saviors, we all need to educate ourselves on the first signs of infestation and become ardent consevatives of our own resources.

Keep the faith all,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

The traps are everywhere here in WV, so are the wrnings of moving firewood etc. They are a destructive creature that is really hurting the trees for sure.

We too are logging to gather the $$ before its all firewood and thats scheduled to start in the next few weeks when the veneer market is a bit higher.

ANYONE that wants crotch pieces etc, come get all you like. There will be far to much for me to handle and if noone takes it, it will be firewood. My zip is 25427 for reference.

I'm in NW Ohio and everyone I know that has ash tree(s) on their property says the trees are either dead or visibly infested. That includes the one ash tree I have in my small yard. I would guess it will make it one more season. Very sad.

I read an article on the ash borer where biologists have suggested that the state and federal governments or whoever should preserve seeds so that when the ash borer is gone, we can still plant new ash trees. I wish I could find the article.

It is a real interesting idea. I wonder if we would still have Dutch Elm if this was done years ago.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I read an article on the ash borer where biologists have suggested that the state and federal governments or whoever should preserve seeds so that when the ash borer is gone, we can still plant new ash trees. I wish I could find the article.

It is a real interesting idea. I wonder if we would still have Dutch Elm if this was done years ago.
    Rich,

I truly hope that a lot of people plant some seeds or seedlings to keep the great Ash tree a viable timber source here in the USA.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Recently there have been ads running on the radio here about some chemical treatment that is available. Your sprinkle it on the ground and water it in and systemically it kills the bugs. I have no idea if it works, but some reputable garden centers here are carrying the stuff. Don't remember the name.