Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broke my bandsaw blade this morning.

Broke my bandsaw blade this morning.

I have the Craftsman band saw. I am a newbie and I dont know anything yet. I was just practicing using it and all of a sudden it just stopped. It stopped hard, the little motor was trying to go but the blade had it hung up. I quickly turned it off and then took the disable plug out of the switch. I open the top door and see the what appears to be a loose blade. I also notice part of the door latch fall onto the table top. I think it came loose and jammed the top wheel stuck. I open the bottom door and see where the blade is broken. I reckon I will get the honor of learning how to replace a band saw blade. One thing I have noticed, no matter what I do I can not rip a small log into anything resembling a straight piece of wood. I notice a lot of flex in the blade. I need to learn about those things as well.

Knowing that I am a newbie and dont know anything yet, do yall have a blade yall recommend for me? Or blades?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

usually long rips require thicker blades, the smaller the blade, the tighter the turns and more flex. Could have been an old blade and maybe had some rust, which will weaken it.

The tension, adjustment rollers, etc.. all need to be checked.

You can probably get a manual online if you don't have one, just search on the model number and read thru it for the adjustments.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

What blade were you using? TPI, width and teeth profile. Were you cutting dry or green wood? Type of wood and thickness.

My guess is you were/are not using the correct blade for the cuts you are trying to make.

Bandsaw books

Pickup books by either Mark Duginske or Lonnie Bird. Great place to start learning.

Thank Yall for the responses. I was cutting some cedar boards when the blade broke.

When I was having a hard time with ripping the small logs they were green and oak. I managed to get them cut but not board straight. I still have them drying. I am going to get a planer and try to make little boards with it.

I dont know what the TPI on the blade was. It came with the saw. I will go look to see if there are any markings. Heck, I should just be able to count the teeth, ¿que no?
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph D'Orazio View Post
    It came with the saw.

That right there is probably your problem.

The blade is probably a high TPI, rather thin blade with regular teeth. With BS blades one type does not fit all. Plan to have at least 2 blades probably more to begin to get the most out of your saw.

Take a look at the charts at Spectrum Supply and or Suffolk they will give you ideas about which blade fits which task. You can also explain what you are cutting and you can get blade recommendations here.

I think you should consider 3 blades, one for resawing green, one for resawing dry and one for curves.

As you are new to using a bandsaw, let me suggest you first buy Lonnie Bird's Band Saw Book or one of the recent books by Mark Duginske. Amazon will have them. Either will tell you how to set up and align your saw. They will also tell you what you need to know about blades to use for the cuts you want to make. There is no single "all purpose" band saw blade. You need the proper blade for the type of cut you are making. These books will also give you lots of good info on how to get the best from your saw.
    Howie.........

I also suggest you take some serious time to tune and understand yr saw.

You'll benefit from a book, but you can find out a great deal by just googling these subjects:

bandsaw blade tensioning
    bandsaw blade selection

A bandsaw is one of the more fussy tools, so doing this upfront research will save you a lot of headache. You'll get it!!!

Clean up that cast iron top and get it butter smooth, too!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I will get me some books and use google too. The blade has 5 teeth per inch. It is a ½ inch wide. I've got lots to learn. I've also got one of those red Craftsman table saws. I regret that purchase. Its not big enough to make a sled for or anything like that. I need me a saw with a bigger base. I also bought a used router and table, again Craftsman. Again, I regret that purchase too, its a little table. I did see a guy on youtube make a beautiful jewelery box with that exact router and table though. He had homemade fences and stop on it but I was encouraged though. I intend to develop some skill despite my bad purchases before I buy better equipment. I desire a dovetail attachment but I also really want to learn to do it by hand.

Ok, thank yall for the information and giving me a good direction to look in for dealing with my saw. Yall are the best
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joseph D'Orazio; 08-23-2010 at 2:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
    Pickup books by either Mark Duginske or Lonnie Bird. Great place to start learning.
    If you don't like book, check out Mark's video on the bandsaw...it's money well spent.

I could not tell the size of your saw but I have the Craftsman 10 inch version. Sears blades are way too thin to suit me. See if you can find a local shop that makes custom sized blades. I found one locally that charges 10 per blade and they're good quality. If not there are Timberwolf, Suffolk etc that folks here can tell you about.

As for tooth sizes I try and keep two blades I use a lot. 3 or 4 tooth per inch 1/2 inch blade for ripping and a 6 tooth 3/8 inch blade or so for general work. A side note in hunting bearings last week I found they were 6$ apiece at a local tool shop and the guy told me look online for a better price.

The saws a little under powered but a good blade and patience feeding it through you can get some good cuts.

Thank You. I for sure want some good blades. I got stuck reading about yalls work benches. (Thats what I am doing right now). I need me one of them there work benches.

That blade is 89½ inches. I found a three pack of blades for $45. Its a 12 inch saw.

Well I went to Sears today and bought 3 blades for $46. I put the ½" wide 3 teeth per inch blade in it and run it for less than a minute and it suddenly stops in the wood and is bent up now. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I need to fix it, I need this band saw. It is a Craftsman 12 inch 22400 band saw.