Thread: Rubber Stencil cutting

Rubber Stencil cutting

Hi there

I have just started sandblasting. i was doing lettering on granite and using a rubber stencil.
    i cut the stencil with a laser cutter. it all works fine when the stencil is cut while on the granite, but if i cut it when its not on the granite when i remove the backing it basically pulls the stencil apart. i have tried using masking tape to keep it all together but with no real luck.

any advice would be great

thanks

You can put two layers of hi-tac transfer tape on it after cutting, then turn upside down and carefully peel off the backing, and apply to the granite. Try to keep the stencil/transfer tape flat on a table and start pulling the backing in a corner, and bend it back as flat as possible while peeling the rest. Oh, and wipe off the stencil before putting on the transfer tape, it will be covered with a white dust that keeps the tape from sticking well.

Weed after it's on the granite.

It is a lot easier to cut after it's on the granite but that only works if it will fit into your laser. I have done some pretty big sandblast jobs and mostly cut it on the vinyl plotter, but for a really big, fairly simple design, it's way easier to pen plot the graphic onto paper, use spray adhesive to adhere it to the stencil already on the wood/marble/rock, and hand cut with xacto.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe,

That spray Adhesive Trick with a pen plot art is "Priceless"....

Thank YOU !!!!

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Colin,
    You need to play with the settings a bit more. I cut Anchor 116 all the time and rarely cut through the carrier. Usually it's just on the corners or very small radius curves when the laser slows down, otherwise, it's just cutting through the mask. I apply transfer tape and then remove the carrier, usually in one piece, then apply to the substrate. For my 30 watt, 80 ips laser, I use 100% power and 8% speed. If I'm cutting on the substrate I'll use 100% power and 5% speed.

Gary