Thread: maple stain/dye problem.

maple stain/dye problem.

I tried out this stain on a test piece of maple and it stained the figure in the wood with a bunch of small dots, I do not want this, any ideas, I tried dilution with no luck.
    Mixed carefully, used distiled water, tried it out on another piece of maple, same results.
    Does not change if I pre wet the wood. Don't know what to try next?
    Cheers Ron
    P1011567.jpg

P1011571.jpg

P1011573.jpg

P1011419.jpg

Ron,
    Did you use hot water to mix the dye?
    Did you strain the dye after it was completely dissolved?
    What grit did you sand to before dye?

From the pictures I am not sure if the problem is the dye or the wood. I would paint some dye on a sheet of white paper to see if there are flecks of undissolved dye. If it is smooth and even on the paper it's in the wood or the prep of the wood. If you get the flecks on the paper strain the dye.

Bingo< thought I followed the directions, but no. I did not heat the water, nor strain it, bit of which i had read in the directions.
    So back to step one, thanks guys.
    Cheers Ron.

5. Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

6. Maple is quite difficult to be colored. It is easy to get blotchy in the staining. You need to make sure that you did good sanding before start the stain application.
    Do you have facility to do spray? It is better to spray your stain since you will easier to control the color result.
    Maple wood for furniture

Good luck