Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk cheap nailers.

Let's talk cheap nailers.

So as not to hijack the other thread on nailers, I'll start this thread.
    I need a framing nailer to build a shed, and maybe a few small projects around the house/shop. I don't want to spend $200 for a Pro nailer I won't use as a pro. I have a compressor that will handle anything.

I'm looking at 2 right now to shoot .131 round head nails.
    I've read reviews on both of them, and so far, both look acceptable.

Grizzly 21º H7665
    $99 at Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7665-...2612021&sr=8-4
    Will shoot Hitachi nails.

HF 28º
    $75 right now.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/28-fram...ler-98917.html
    Shoots Bostitch nails.

OK all. Trash 1 or both of them, or convince me to buy one, or something else.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 08-23-2010 at 9:35 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I don't have any experience with framing nailers from those places, but I did get a brad/staple nailer from Harbor Freight. I was worried about the potential for disaster from an exploding nailgun considering the quality of their other tools. However, for $19 I got an excellent nailgun. Everything worked fine, and I was able to install carpet on a set of stairs. If I needed to do framing or roofing, I would consider one of those cheap nailguns.

I have the Harbor Freight 28º nailer and have built 7 or 8 sheds with it now and used it for other projects around the house, loaned it to others and it never skipped a beat. I think I have around 5000-7500 nails through it. I also buy Bostitch nails at the Depot. I don't care for the HF nails.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    So as not to hijack the other thread on nailers, I'll start this thread.
    I need a framing nailer to build a shed, and maybe a few small projects around the house/shop. I don't want to spend $200 for a Pro nailer I won't use as a pro. I have a compressor that will handle anything.

I'm looking at 2 right now to shoot .131 round head nails.
    I've read reviews on both of them, and so far, both look acceptable.

Grizzly 21º H7665
    $99 at Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7665-...2612021&sr=8-4
    Will shoot Hitachi nails.

HF 28º
    $75 right now.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/28-fram...ler-98917.html
    Shoots Bostitch nails.

OK all. Trash 1 or both of them, or convince me to buy one, or something else.

Does quality run in brands?

I realize it's not the same tool, but here's a review of a HF nailer by a fellow creeker that stuck in my memory:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/hfbrdstplrrvu.html

Not the same as a review of the tool in question, but an interesting data point, nonetheless...

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I need a framing nailer to build a shed, and maybe a few small projects around the house/shop.
    For a single shed and maybe a few small projects, all you need is a hammer. Is everone today afraid to do even a little bit of work using elbow grease?

If your not in a hurry subscribe to Tool of the day.com. They have Dewalt reconditioned framing nailers around 120 bucks every now and then.

I bought a recon Bostich 15g angled finish nailer for 80 bucks. Thing works great.

I bought a HF 28* nailer,it jammed after about a dozen nails. When it did work, it needed every bit of 125 psi to drive the nails flush.
    To clear the jam, the directions wanted me to use the supplied allen wrenches to disassemble the nose.
    The allen screws were in so tight, I bent one wrench trying in vain to loosen them.

I ran to Lowes and picked up a Bostitch for $269.00 w/a free palm nailer.
    I love the Bostitch.

(FWIW - the HF 6 in one framing nailer gets great reviews. The 29* one gets real mixed reviews.)

For small projects, you might want to consider a palm nailer. I find mine extremely handy. Being able to use any nail in it is an added plus.

HF 21 degree nailer

not the 28 degree clipped head nailer. I bought one to try. My experience was like Rich's, it takes high air pressure. My compressors kick out at 125 psi and kick on around 90-100. 90-100 didn't seem like enough. It'd drive 3 1/2" nails flush when used flat but left toenailed nails sticking out about 1/2". It also sparked on every nail. I took it back. The Grizzly gun mentioned gets pretty good reviews on Amazon but looks like a twin of the Harbor Freight 21 degree gun so I'm skeptical about that one as well. If I buy another framing gun I think it'll be from Reconditioned Sales. They sell new and recon Hitachi and Hitachi guns seem to get positive reviews. http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Fr...rs___c340.aspx

I had a few projects big projects when I went looking for a framing nailer. I wanted something good and reliable, but didn't want to spend big money.

I settled on the RIDGID 3 1/2 In. Round Head Framing Nailer (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053)

It's been awesome. It drives a consistent depth (which is adjustable btw...very handy) and rarely ever jams. Comes with a great warranty and will drive the .162" nails. Most only go to .148".

I have the HF Brad/Staple gun and was disappointed. It works, but depth is inconsistent and it takes a lot of pressure to drive the bigger fasteners. No depth adjustment is a pain. The other thing is you have to REALLY put pressure on that gun for it to sink a fastener. So much so that the plunger usually leaves a dent. I don't use it that much and some day I'll replace it. I have no experience with their framer though.

I have several nail guns from HF, 23g pin nailer, roofing nail gun, staple gun. They all work so well that I can't justify spending more than what I could get them for at HF. One great thing about the HF I go to is that I have never had any issue returning items. So I'd say give HF a try, if you don't like what you got take it back (assuming you have HF store near you). My experience with HF has been that most of the air tools have been pretty good - but I shy away from anything with a power cord attached to it. Also, my local Craigs list always seems to have nail guns listed.

Do they rent nailers at the BORGs? I recall seeing some Passload's at one of them (HD?) - I personally own a Passload Framing Nailer and that thing ROCKS!! It's gas and battery - so no cords or hoses. Very handy! Rent one - be done in no time flat - then return it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    For a single shed and maybe a few small projects, all you need is a hammer. Is everone today afraid to do even a little bit of work using elbow grease?
    Will
    One justifiable reason for the use for a nailer for infrequent projects is that some of us work alone.
    Holding sheathing or plywood, while trying to set and drive a nail, or working off a ladder with only one hand free, makes a nailer an attractive, faster and safer alternative.

For the record;
    I do not own a pneumatic nailer, but I own plenty of hammers in all different weights. A pneumatic nailer is at the top of my list because of the above reasons
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-24-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

When I did my shop, I bought a recon Porter Cable nailer, used it for a few months, then sold it used at a net cost of much less than renting. When I put engineered hardwood in our master bedroom I bought a used one on Ebay and resold it for the same price. Just another idea.

I bought the HF 6-in1 several years ago. With the 20 percent coupon, I paid about $70.00. I've used it to build several large projects, inlcuding one 16/16 shed. I've loaned it to a friend who has a Bosch air nailer. He had to send it back for repair, although it was brand new. I've never had a jam (always maintained the recommended pressure). It shoots different nail angles. I'd buy another one without hesitation. Just paint it and maybe no one will notice who made it. L

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Ehrhardt View Post
    I bought the HF 6-in1 several years ago. With the 20 percent coupon, I paid about $70.00. I've used it to build several large projects, inlcuding one 16/16 shed. I've loaned it to a friend who has a Bosch air nailer. He had to send it back for repair, although it was brand new. I've never had a jam (always maintained the recommended pressure). It shoots different nail angles. I'd buy another one without hesitation. Just paint it and maybe no one will notice who made it. L
    This what I would try, it is on my list of sooner-than-later tools to get! I've had a HF 1/2" crown construction stapler for over 6 years and have shot over 5000 (yes five thousand) staples without one single problem (except for when I shot one into my thumbnail!).