Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you decide to set a price for your turning?

I think the answer would be very different for a turner trying to make a living off their work and a hobbiest who occasionally set up a booth at a craft show.

If you are just trying to perpetuate your hobby - money for new toys and blanks, I'm guess you could stand some low prices. If it was your sole livelihood and had to pay food, shelter, clothes, retirement etc., I'm guessing you better write some books, teach some classes, and otherwise figure ways to make money beyond the income from the sales of turnings.

Most folks don't value high quality craft and art of any kind enough. Luckily their are a few. Krenov wrote a few chapters about this. I think he had it figured out pretty well.

Pricing is a very difficult thing to do. Depends on the audience. I had a bowl for sale for $50 for a long time, raised it to $75 and it sold within a few days. Probably luck, but who know. The person that purchased it was very happy and that is all that counts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    David...I think your two responses are the most comprehensive that I've read in a long time.

The fact that markets vary, depending on venue, geographic location, events, and the type of people who attend, there is no real certain way of setting a price prior to that knowledge.

But here, you have nailed the fundamentals of the individuals that might come by and look.
    It is true...the first thing they do, is look inside, then come the fingers....then they turn it over and look at the foot...then they admire the form. The colors, finish, and presentation are probably the initial attractant.

A few years ago, someone posted a comment they overheard at a craftshow.....that a potential customer made to her companion...."Why would I spend Thirty Dollars on a Wooden Bowl?"

As turners...we think, "Well...do you have any idea what goes into that bowl?" The answer is generally....No...they have no idea.

They want it to be attractive....something to collect....something that will look good in their decor...something different...where obvious care went into its making. They want to see a reflection of the artist in the character of the piece.

Sheesh..I type a lot. Ok...Shuttin' up
    Thanks for your comments John and I like Jeremiah Johnson
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

Smile My Work

I just finished a 3 day show this weekend. I make and sell cutting boards, wine bottle stoppers, wine caddies, cribbage boards, bowls and peppermills. In my estimation I had a GREAT show this weekend. My good work is confinscated by my wife. This week I told her she had to choose between two peppermills. After she chose I told her I was going to take the one she chose to the show and place a price on it that NO ONE would buy. OOPS, someone did (she doesn't know it yet). I had a cherry burl bowl that I packed around for a year and finally a guy that had been checking it for 6 mos finally bought it. I sell my bottle stoppers for $5 (cork style) more like a loss leader and uses up my scraps. The peppermills go for between $30 and $90 (the wife's special one went for $120, cherry burl 14" H). Don't sell many bowls because as stated before, people just don't know what it takes and don't value it. Plus the economy isn't great either. I guess the best answer for the original question is, "What ever the market will bear and you can live with".

Welcome to the Creek Jim!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson