Thread: Supercharge a BS Iturra Design Way??

Supercharge a BS Iturra Design Way??

Guys for the last month or so I have been ordering parts and blades from Iturra Design which is a bandsaw accessory only business.He has sent me his summer catalog full of fine accessorys for the new or old bandsaw that will help make it the best it can be.But what has caught my interest is this 240 plus page catalog is also full of information on the bandsaw and how to tune it up and make if perform.
    In one of the chapters he has taken a 14"Delta BS and supercharge it by installing a 1 1/2hp motor and change the pulley out to make it rotate from 3000 sfm to 4000sfm and use a bi-metal blade for resawing.Going from the normal 3000 up 4000 sfm will increase your feed rate and keep a quality cut using the bi-metal blade and will not generate alot of heat.
    Question:Has anyone done this and if so,how do you like it for resawing?I'm in the process of restoring a PM141 which is missing a motor so I was wondering if I should go w/ the 1 1/2hp motor or go back will what came out of it which is a 3/4hp motor.Thanks for the advice--Carroll

I'm thinking of putting a 2hp on my 14" Delta w/resaw.
    My former 14" Delta (sold it) had 1hp. Wanted to put the 2hp on that one.
    This saw is my 1966 14" metal-wood with 1/2hp. A better candidate for the 2hp.
    Go for it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I think beyond 3/4-1HP, most 17" bandsaw or less won't see a benefit increase. The saw blade is usually the limitation. It needs time to cut the wood. The blade also needs time to remove the saw dust. Increasing the feed rate beyond the blade's ability would unnecessarily shorten its life due to heat build-up & often lead to inaccurate cuts. Before upgrading the motor, I'd consider getting the right/good blades.

I installed a 1.5hp motor onto my 14" bandsaw a few years ago, along with a Fenner link belt. It made the saw much more capable. I was forever stalling the stock motor after I added a riser kit. I got a used American motor on the internet auction site for pretty cheap. The saw never stalled after the addition of the new motor. I eventually replaced it with a 17" Shop Fox which I'm much happier with, but that is a different story.

Huh?

Maybe if you are cutting balsa. I'd consider 1.5 the minimum these days. A good blade is still important but even on a .75, cutting thick hard wood needs as much power as you can get.
    Dan

The 141 has a solid casting. It will not accept a riser block. Although I feel this is the superior design because of reduced frame flex opposed to a two piece Delta style frame, it will only cut 6 1/2" thick max. I think that a good 1hp motor will be sufficent, especially considering from the factory they had 1/3 or 1/2 hp motors.
    Darnell

Well, I'm gonna be the dissenting voice here. Iturra has some good information in it, but it's really the JC Whitney of the bandsaw world - lots of stuff to pimp your machine, much of it of questionable value if your machine is already tuned up.

A 14" band saw with new pullies, motor, link belt, cool blocks, machine feet, etc. is still a 14" band saw, except that you've spent a lot of the dollars between that saw and a bigger one. If you need a new motor for your saw, find a used 1HP on craigslist or shell out if you have to. When you're ready for a real upgrade, sell that one and get a bigger one. You won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Hoang View Post
    I think beyond 3/4-1HP, most 17" bandsaw or less won't see a benefit increase. The saw blade is usually the limitation. It needs time to cut the wood. The blade also needs time to remove the saw dust. Increasing the feed rate beyond the blade's ability would unnecessarily shorten its life due to heat build-up & often lead to inaccurate cuts. Before upgrading the motor, I'd consider getting the right/good blades.

I have to disagree with you, though I certainly see your logic. Lots of 14" saws have 12-14" resaw height, with the proper resaw blade one can easily overfeed and bog a smaller motor, even a 1.5hp motor WITHOUT overfeeding the blade. I would agree blades are THE place to start!

As far as supercharging a 14" bandsaw, I think it can be interesting and fun BUT it is not the cheapest nor easiest way to go. Selling the 14" saw and buying a larger saw that is more capable out of the chute makes more fiscal sense, but some people like to tinker and I am one of them to an extent.

If you already own the saw, and it does everything you want but is underpowered, just look for 1.5-HP motor on Craigslist.

There is NO WAY that upgrading to a larger saw is going to be less expensive than upgrading what you already have, as long as you purchase the upgrades wisely.