Thread: Who owns the Grizzly G0700?

Who owns the Grizzly G0700?

Has anyone purchased or used the Grizzly G0700 sliding table saw? If you have, let us all know your thoughts.
    -bernie

Does anyone know someone with the G0700?????

Gee whiz. I can't believe somebody hasn't bought the Grizzly G0700 small footprint sliding table saw. Does anyone know someone who bought it? Got decent reviews and seems like a neat product. Anyone?
    -bernie

Just guessing here

but the price is pretty close to the SawStop PCS. Sliding table & scoring blade vs. SawStop safety features. Add $500 to the SawStop for a sliding table.

My thought exactly

You have guessed my alternate choice. I find it hard to choose between the Grizzly G0700 http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-S...-Scoring/G0700 and the sawstop PCS.
    -bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    You have guessed my alternate choice. I find it hard to choose between the Grizzly G0700 http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-S...-Scoring/G0700 and the sawstop PCS.
    -bernie

Bernie,

Whay do you have now? If it were me, I'd go for the slider. The sawstop is great I'm sure, if you feel you need the extra safety feature. I'm not going to start a safety debate, but I will say this... I started with a bench-top on a stand Delta saw.. direct drive, small aluminum top.. that thing scared the crap out of me!! It made horrible sounds when cutting anything thicker than 1/2" or so, and when attempting to cut large lumber, it was a nightmare! I almost tipped the thing over once (ONCE!)!! I knew I had outgrown the saw... so I jumped on the Ridgid R4511 blowout sale for $299 (not plugging the saw). What a difference!!! The saw is SOOOO stable! It is heavy, large full sized table. I use the gaurd & riving knife whenever possible, and as much common sense as possible... I feel completely safe operating my saw. I always am aware of safety when operating the saw. I don't feel that I need a SawStop to make me safe, but I understand many like having the extra back-up safety feature... just my thoughts & opinions... I just think the slider option adds more usefulness than the sawstop...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    -bernie
    Hi Bernie, you need to decide whether you want a sliding tablesaw, or a cabinet saw first.

I had a cabinet saw (General 650) then went with a Hammer B3 Winner.

You couldn't convince me to go back to a cabinet saw.

My comments on the sliding saws are as follows;

- Hammer and Felder have an extremely large selection of accessories for sliding saws.

- The Hammer K3 is near the Grizzly in price, and has a larger capacity slider and a larger main blade.

- companies such as Felder, Hammer, Mini Max are the manufacturers of their products, they may be able to supply parts for longer than a company that distributes the machinery.

- every Felder, Hammer, and MiniMax owner I've spoken to have been extremely pleased with the machines, since I'm Canadian I haven't spoken to any owners of Grizzly machinery.

- Felder/Hammer are having specials now at the AWF show, check out the Felder site for videos and pricing.

Regards, Rod.

It appears to me that you are considering two entirely different classes of machine. Safety wise, on one the saw saves you, on the other your hands are never even close to the blade. I'd rather be plain safe than saved by anything. Plus you can lock the slider into stationary mode and it is exactly the same as a regular cabinet saw. Space and weight would be my only reasons not to get a slider if I could afford one.

As for that G0700, the trunion and motor mount don't look very beefy. I know the SS is well regarded. I'd cetainly check out Rod's suggestions and the Laguana.

Quote Originally Posted by James Malcolm View Post
    Safety wise, on one the saw saves you, on the other your hands are never even close to the blade.
    This is true if you're talking about cutting panels. This isn't true if you're ripping on a slider using the rip fence... and ripping is the operation during which you're much more likely to cut off a finger or two. I have heard of people using the sliding mechanism to make rip cuts... but frankly that sounds like a pain. I'd rather just set the rip fence and feed the workpiece through.

So to me, sliders don't completely solve the safety issues of a table saw. They reduce the likelihood of an amputation but they don't eliminate it like a sawstop does.

If you want a slider and a sawstop, you're stuck getting an add-on slider. From what I've heard, most people find add-on sliders to be really finicky and difficult to dial in. In an ideal world, SS would manufacture a slider... I can dream can't I?

(...secretly hoping sawstop is reading this...)

I'm interested in the Grizzly sliding attachment (the T10223) but I don't want to buy it until I see somebody else's review. I haven't seen an SMC member write a review yet and I hate being the guinea pig!

Bernie,

I have the larger G0623 version and really like it. I did post some information about my saw when it was new back in march 09. The saw you are interested in has a smaller sliding table and different rip fence, looks like the motor and cabinet is the same as mine. The only thing I don't like is the blade guard, can't see through it and its just a personal perference. This is my first Grizzly tool and I'm happy with it and the cost. I looked at other sliders and they were larger and a lot more money. If you can afford the space and money it would be worth getting the G0623, if not then the G0700 would be a really nice choice too. I also looked at the SawStop and decided the slider was what I really needed. I feel the slider has added more safety to my woodworking, the Grizzly replaced my made in the USA Delta Unisaw.

Regards!
    Ed

Hi
    I have a question. Since this saw is far more expansive than lets say G0691 which has 50 inches of rip capacity!!! I am on the edge right now with these two Grizzly saws or a saw stop. I care a lot about the rip capacity but what advantage(s) is the sliding table over huge rip capacity saw? I would make extension tables and huge cross cut sled for crosscutting, wouldn't that do the same thing as sliding table just on the budget?
    Thanks
    Arek

I had the next size up the G0623X and its a great saw. I think this G0700 just has a shorter sliding table and a different fence. I would recommend this one based on my experience with the Bigger brother. I would also recommend the fence from really super cool tools, they have a version that will work with sliding tables. Its not cheap but better than the original fence.
    http://vsctools.com/shop/sliding-table-saw/