Thread: 220 volt wiring question

220 volt wiring question

seems like this should be simple, but being extremely cautious when it comes to electrical stuff i'm not sure about i would like some more expert input

2hp Grizzly DC wired for 220vac want to take the switch from the DC and put it between the outlet and the panel (DC is in a closet outside the shop) so it can easily be turned on and off from inside the shop. The problem i'm having is that the DC only has 2 hots and a ground coming out of the switch on the input side while the 12/3 wire coming from the power panel in the shop obviously has a neutral as well as the 2 hots and a ground. What do you do with the neutral on the switch end? can i just cap it off with a wire nut and electrical tape? can it just be capped on both ends? what is the best (safest) thing to do with it?

thanks in advance for any help you can offer

I did the same thing (moved the switch on my DC to the wall, so I didn't have to reach over to turn it on every time).

Yes, just cap the neutral. Leave it connected at the panel so it's available if anyone else uses that wire in the future, but just cap it at the switch.

thanks Dan much appreciated

ShopFox (Woodstock International, i.e. Grizzly) has a nice remote DC on/off switch for 2HP 220V. I use one for my 1.5HP Delta DC, it has two remotes and works great. Plug it into the wall, plug the DC into it. I have one remote hanging on my shop apron, and another hanging on my bandsaw "tensioned/Re-Tension!" red/green placard.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    and another hanging on my bandsaw "tensioned/Re-Tension!" red/green placard.
    If it isn't a BS thread, turn it into one!!!

I also agree on a DC remote, whether it be radio, infrared, blast gate controlled or current controlled.