Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old DeWalt RAS...Worth $50?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    WTG! Eric! That DeWalt is in great shape for it's age. There should be little that has to be done to get it in tip-top shape. IIRC, the 1511 is an early '60s saw. Not TOO OLD as Arn goes. Enjoy!
    Really? I thought it was newer than that. It looks A LOT like ones in pics that are B&D. But it doesn't say B&D anywhere so I figured it was like RIGHT before they came into the picture than started stamping their name on it next to the DeWalt name.
    Eric Wheeler

Eric, I found a 1511 over at OWWM.com:
    Yours

DeWalt 1511 (1962):

and a 1512A (Black & Decker) from 1969:

I think you did WELL for $50 !!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Wow, I thought it was a bit newer than that. I guess I had the right idea though, that B&D just stamped their name next to the DeWalt badge when they took over, besides that looks like the same saw...I just thought it happened later than in the 60's I was thinking lime early 80's. Oh well. Looks like I got one just before the turn of the era. Like you said, I did well for $50.
    Eric Wheeler

I found a manual for this saw on eBay for $20. But I found a manual for 1200 and 1400 on OWWM, and scanning through it, it looks like all the same controls and such. Would it be worth the $20 to get the right one, or will the other one work. It appears to be the same saw, just like maybe different motor specs or blade size or something.
    Eric Wheeler

Also look at Dewalt Radial Arm saw forum

Besides OWWM site, the Dewalt radial arm saw forum is very active and full of helpful info:

http://forums dot delphiforums.com/woodbutcher

There is someone there parting out a 1511 (not me) - maybe you can pick up any parts you need.

http://forums dot delphiforums.com/w...es/?msg=4382.1
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-28-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: scrambled direct link to other forum

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wheeler View Post
    .... Would it be worth the $20 to get the right one, or will the other one work. It appears to be the same saw, just like maybe different motor specs or blade size or something.
    The dewalts seems to have changed little in the time. I would not think you would need a model specific manual. Instead I would spend the money on Jon Eakes' Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw - I consider the bible on RAS set-up and maintenance. You should also head down to your local library and read everything you can find on using this tool, it has its quirks. Below is from Jon Eakes' website:

Download the book
    I read through this book twenty+ years later and found that nothing needed to be updated; those old saws just keep on cutting. Hence the rest of this book is as originally published. For a while I sold it on the web, then as part of a DVD, and now here it is back on the web.
    Just click here to go to PayPal to pay for it ($14.95) and then download the book -- no more waiting for the mail.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    The dewalts seems to have changed little in the time. I would not think you would need a model specific manual. Instead I would spend the money on Jon Eakes' Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw - I consider the bible on RAS set-up and maintenance. You should also head down to your local library and read everything you can find on using this tool, it has its quirks. Below is from Jon Eakes' website:
    Yeah, I was going to get that Mr. Sawdust book or whatever. I just thought it'd be nice to have the manual as well with pics and everything of the actual saw...but this other manual the pics look identical to my saw from what I can tell. How does this Fine Tuning compare to the Mr. Sawdust book? Are they basically one in the same, or different enough to get both of them? I think Mr. Sawdust is running about $30 these days.
    Eric Wheeler

That looks like a Powershop 1400

I am not sure what the difference is between the 1400 and the 1511, but it looks exactly like the 1400 that I own. Well, not "exactly" alike since mine doesn't look like it sat outside for a few years. It is one of the good models with cast iron. The stand on mine does not look as robust as the one in the picture.

The first 2 numbers in the serial number should be the year that it was manufactured. Mine has a 62 or 63.

$50 seems like a good price if it runs and the rails are smooth.

I found a free online manual for the 1200/1400 somewhere.

Steve

The only thing is the lock for the pivot arm is a bit wobbley. I posted a pic with a yellow arrow and circle that shows a pretty close up of what I am talking about...I hope this is an easy fix.
    There is a set screw adjustment for aligning and tightening the 45/90 degree lock arm. In fact just about everything that can be moved has an adjustment with a set screw.

The old Dewalt RAS design is a marvel of engineering.

Steve

Yeah, I was going to get that Mr. Sawdust book or whatever. I just thought it'd be nice to have the manual as well with pics and everything of the actual saw...but this other manual the pics look identical to my saw from what I can tell. How does this Fine Tuning compare to the Mr. Sawdust book? Are they basically one in the same, or different enough to get both of them? I think Mr. Sawdust is running about $30 these days.
    Get the book. You'll enjoy the story he has to tell, and learn a lot about the saw in the process.

After you get the table made and installed with a fence on it, this is where you will make the initial 90deg adjustment.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Well, I ordered Wally Kunkel book and it arrived today, so the resto of my saw should be well on the way quite soon. I do have to say though that for about $40 for the book including shipping I am quite disappointed thus far. Flimsy pages, no actual cover...it is about the same thickness and such as the pages, a cheap plastic comb binding just like the ones that I used in elementary school for my creative writing courses, and the text is quite big, reminds me of a childrens' book, in which they shouldn't be using an RAS anyway...I know I know, don't judge a book by its cover...but I'm not, really, I'm judging it by its price and cover. Oh well, this thing better be PACKED with excellent info to make me feel I got my monies worth because everything else seems crap. I'll be much happier when my saw is restored and beautified.
    Eric Wheeler

Yea, I really preferred the Eakes book. It is also a boring read, but that was its intent. It is just a more detailed manual for set-up and maintenance. And, since it gives details for the Dewalts, the Craftsman, and I think, the Rockwells, you will only use 1/3 of the information. But that 1/3 has shown me how to get more accuracy, keep my saw better maintained, and stay a little safer.

I used to be one that bad-mouth the RAS as being too finicky and hard to make square cuts. I had gone through the initial set-up and alignment in my saw's manual, but was frustrated by it not keeping its setting or jerking through cuts or a host of other problems.

After reading Eakes book I realized I also needed to pay attention to friction and wear, and vectors of force and other things to make sure cuts were predictable and repeatable. Now I feel more confident about using the saw.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I have read 40 pages into it now. It seemed pretty cool so far, until I got to the point on page 30 where it said something a long the lines of...Unless you plan to build a table for your saw, do not waste your time with the rest of this book...On top of the grammatical errors and typos up the wazoo...remember only to page 40 so far. Then there was a part near the very beginning that mentioned that the book has not been edited, I chuckled, but soon realized it was quite true. I do love the instructions for building the table so far, so I think all in all I will be happy with my purchase, just disappointed in the quality, professionalism, and price.

Maybe I'll have to check out the Eakes book as well, I think I found a copy at the local library so I don't have to spend money on the book unless I decide I really like it enough to keep.
    Eric Wheeler

Well, I ordered Wally Kunkel book and it arrived today, so the resto of my saw should be well on the way quite soon. I do have to say though that for about $40 for the book including shipping I am quite disappointed thus far. Flimsy pages, no actual cover...it is about the same thickness and such as the pages, a cheap plastic comb binding just like the ones that I used in elementary school for my creative writing courses, and the text is quite big, reminds me of a childrens' book, in which they shouldn't be using an RAS anyway...
    That is a valuable book, and when you buy it, you are helping his Widow.
    So what if it's made the way it is.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I like where your heads at

Eric, the Dewalt is definitely worth it. Hope that's already been settled.

It's also good to hear from some other young guys with the bug. I started collecting tools when I worked construction in high-school, then moved on to shop tools when I graduated from college. I've only been out of college for 5 years now and I already have multiples of most of my major shop tools. Most of them were made before I was born and will still be working after I've died.

My name is Ryan, and I'm addicted to all things woodworking.