Thread: Box making software

Thumbs down Box making software

Hi,
    I've been searching for box making software that was listed here some time back that could use millimetres as well as inches called BoxMaker (?).
    I can't remember if it was a macro for Corel or a stand alone programe.
    I've come across a couple- Rahulbotics (Can't get it to run on W7) and Box Making VBA Macro. Called FingerBox.gms (only has inches as far as I can see).
    The software I had downloaded here (before the hard disk crashed) allowed the conversion to mm by changing the dialog box (rather than a calculation to the 3rd decimal point)
    I've searched on Box Maker software, Box Maker macro, BoxMaker etc.
    If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very thankful
    Thanks
    Dave
    David Griffiths
    45W Epilog Helix 610 x 450
    CDR X4
    Vista

I don't know why converting your unit of measure to mm in Corel wouldn't work for you.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi Mike,
    I run Corel in mm however the Box Making VBA Macro. Called FingerBox.gms seems only to work in inches. As we can only buy our timer in mm and not inches it's time consuming to make the calcs on all measurements.
    Regards
    David Griffiths
    CDR X4
    Vista

Quote Originally Posted by David Griffiths View Post
    I run Corel in mm however the Box Making VBA Macro. Called FingerBox.gms seems only to work in inches. As we can only buy our timer in mm and not inches it's time consuming to make the calcs on all measurements.
    There's a "Scale" entry on the 'Fingerbox' dialog that (duh) scales all the user entries. Just set it to 0.03937 (i.e. 1/25.4) and everything becomes millimeters instead of inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null
    I don't know why converting your unit of measure to mm in Corel wouldn't work for you.
    'Fingerbox' is unitless: I deliberately omitted units from the entry dialog. However, Corel does everything in inches internally: changing the unit of measure in 'Page Setup' just changes the displays. There may be a way to really change unit of measure globally, but I never found it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    There's a "Scale" entry on the 'Fingerbox' dialog that (duh) scales all the user entries. Just set it to 0.03937 (i.e. 1/25.4) and everything becomes millimeters instead of inches..
    Thanks Lee
    I wasn't having a shot at your programe and not being the best at programing couldn't work it out. I now can work it out thanks to your input.

[QUOTE='Fingerbox' is unitless: I deliberately omitted units from the entry dialog. However, Corel does everything in inches internally: changing the unit of measure in 'Page Setup' just changes the displays. There may be a way to really change unit of measure globally, but I never found it.[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, you can change the units globally in X4, but again I stand to be corrected. We only work in mm here.
    David Griffiths
    CDR X4
    Vista

Dave, unzip this and run the bat file, should be what you were after.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Frank Corker; 08-26-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Under TOOLS-OPTIONS-RULERS you can change the default unit of measure.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by David Griffiths View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, you can change the units globally in X4, but again I stand to be corrected. We only work in mm here.
    Just took another look at the problem at a very low level, looking at the properties for the "Document" object inside VBA: the "Unit" property for that object defaults to 'cdrInch'. And it does so regardless of what you set the page layout units to. AFAICT there are no other operator-accessible controls to select units.

As it happens, 'Fingerbox' also hard-sets that property to 'cdrInch', so a Corel option change wouldn't help anyway. I dimly remember (this was early 2005) considering having a dialog to select Inch/MM/Points/whatever and decided to use the more general scale approach, partly because I despise the Kabuki dance you have to go through to handle drop-downs. But if you open 'Fingerbox' in the VBA editor, you can change the text string 'cdrInch' to 'cdrMillimeter' every place it appears (twice IIRC), and then you can work metric and leave scale at 1.0. EDIT: If you do that, you might also want to change the default values for the dialog...unless you're into making very small boxes.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 08-26-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Under TOOLS-OPTIONS-RULERS you can change the default unit of measure.
    Same thing internally: if you change units on 'Page Layout', it changes the units on 'Rulers' and vice versa. Neither affects what unit Corel is using "under the hood".

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Dave, unzip this and run the bat file, should be what you were after.
    Thanks Frank, worked a treat,
    Regards
    David Griffiths
    CDR X4
    Vista

The Box maker program works very well. I am sure i will find a use for it some day. Just to test it out i made a little 2x2x2x2 inch box. Glues it together. Sanded it. But a coat of stain on it. The Epoxy Resin. Looks pretty nice. Though the only use i can think of is a over sized pair of dice. ""But i suppose a jewelry box or a customized paper weight.
    To the people who correct grammar to prove a point

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Anderson View Post
    The Box maker program works very well. I am sure i will find a use for it some day. Just to test it out i made a little 2x2x2x2 inch box. Glues it together. Sanded it. But a coat of stain on it. The Epoxy Resin. Looks pretty nice. Though the only use i can think of is a over sized pair of dice. ""But i suppose a jewelry box or a customized paper weight.
    The box is just a starting point. You customize from there.
    The 'top' of the votive candle holder is now sitting inside the
    box, about 1" from the bottom. It has a hole in it the right
    size to hold the candle in place. Another version holds one
    of those 'pumpkin lights' in place, for those who want electric
    instead of a flame.
    The whiskey stone boxes have a shelf in the middle with a grid
    pattern of holes so wet stones can drain, and cold air can get
    inside when you put them in the freezer.

I've started with a basic box shape in the Boxmaker program and
    then just tweaked till I got what I needed. Recently made someone a
    cigarette case using the program .. a living hinge piece holds the
    cigarettes in place in each half. I should have taken a photo or
    saved the file.
    Attached Images Attached Images