Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

30 Aug 2010

Good Morning Everyone,

Well, I've got some cleaning done in the shop, got some wood put up so I can better find the floor in my shop and my boys were kind enough to help get the area around the lathe cleaned up for me.

It's been easier to get some stuff done since the weather has turned a bit cooler. I've still got to split and put up the last bit of firewood I have stacked in my yard, it should be good and dry though since it's been stacked there a year now.

I find it amazing just how much time goes by when your lives are disrupted by critical life situations with ones own kids and cancer battles with you own parent(s). I don't mean this in a bad way, it's just that you wonder, pray, and work to do all you can do and then you find out just how much control you do "not" have over your own life. But...this alone is a book all on it's own.

I still have my daughter's hope chest to get started and finished and I'm hoping to make a few cutting boards this year as well. I guess we shall see just how much I can or can not get done due to circumstances in life and the call of work at the day job.

Well, enough crying on your shoulders....what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I worked on getting fiber for network, copper for phone, and new security wiring pulled through the conduit that was installed last week out to my shop and doing the wiring on both ends. Also back filled as much of the trenches as I could since the contractor is still working on the gas line. They had to change the routing due to our leach field and came up short on materials as a result. I also took care of some miscellaneous things like painting the new gas pipe outside. My shop is a disaster area due to things being moved to accommodate and tools being dumped wherever. The only woodworking was to cut a small piece of plywood to make a shelf to set a UPS on for the network gear at one end.

Saturday I finished the shelves for the new shop cabinet I built.

Sunday I just chilled.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I drove 2 1/2 hours one-way to pick up a 1945 Delta DP220. All original parts are on it. Just needs some cleaning up. Ya gotta love CL.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I got some wood working done. I'm relatively new to the hobby, at least the practice of the hobby. I've been reading and acquiring tools since December. This weekend, I used all of them for the first time.

I rigged up a planer sled for face jointing in my recently acquired Steel City 40200h planer and face jointed some 8/4 sherry for use in legs for my workbench. My "ghetto" sled was a package of shims and some hot glue onto a flat piece I searched for endlessly at the local BORG. It worked really well, with some intake snipe, but that's probably how/where I have the planer positioned for the time being.
    I then jointed the cherry on my table saw with a ghetto jointing sled, cleaned up the opposing face and ripped the cherry to width. Each piece I worked with was ripped to about 3" wide and I laminated the pieces so the legs will be just about 3 square inches. I managed to get two legs glued up yesterday. I think I can get the other two legs glued up by this weekend.
    Last edited by Jonathan Link; 08-30-2010 at 1:07 PM. Reason: Clarity

My wife, my son and I spent all day Saturday and Sunday after church putting down new laminate flooring in the kitchen, dining room and living room. We got the kitchen and dining room finished and have about 2/3 of the Living room left to go.

I lift weights 2-3 days a week at the gym so I am in good shape but this morning I have muscles in body aching that I have never felt in the gym, not to mention my knees. My son asked me Sunday morning "Dad do you have blisters on your knees?". I've spent enough time on my knees nailing base and shoe mold that I didn't get blisters but they sure are sore.

Took apart an older (one of the first projects) futon. Reclaimed the wood to use for picture frames. Then I repurposed the desk part of a bunk bed set for my 9yr old. Had to modify the drawers a bit and need to put a flat surface on it, but it's about 90%.

Nice pickup Myk. I drove about 200 miles to pick up a Crescent 16" jointer. Missing the fence but she's a BEAST. Finally got in the shop last night and wired up, gonna be fun!

Ryan

I started finishing a G&G nightstand I recently completed. I am so disappointed with the quality of this piece. If my wife was not so insistent, I would throw it in the burn pile. I cringe every time I look at it. But I will do better next time.

I also got to go skiing on Saturday with some friends and family. It was as much fun as we have had in quite awhile. It was a beautiful day and everyone had a great time. I, too, lift/exercise 2-3 times a week. But I am still really sore from skiing and tubing all day. But it is a good sore.