Thread: Help selecting band saw blades

Help selecting band saw blades

Hi y'all!

I am finally at a point where I can get a band saw. I am looking at the Grizzly G0457. http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-2...-Bandsaw/G0457

My question is regarding blades. What width and how many teeth per inch do you recommend for various tasks such as:
    Resawing
    Ripping
    General Purpose (small resawing, ripping, scrolling)
    Scrolling

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

here some info, remember thinner blade, easier to scroll. Thicker blade for resawing and ripping.

http://www.kvwoodcarvingsupplies.com/Olsen/Olson%20Band%20Saw%20General%20How%20To's.pdf
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Donn... I have the 457 and its an excellent saw. I love mine. Ive had it since 06 and its done everything Ive thrown at it with ease.

I use a 3/4"~3tooth blade for resaw and ripping, a 1/4"~6tooth for general curves and an 1/8"~14 tooth for bandsawn boxes with the Carter Bandsaw Stablilizer. An 1/8" blade is hard to control with the bearing guides the 457 has, so thats why I bought the Carter Stabilizer.

Great saw. Its my favorite machine.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I just mentioned this in another thread but the Woodslicer is a great resaw blade for the price. Highland Hardware sells them.

For curved cuts I'd suggest a 1/4" 6tpi blade.

Thanks for the input. It looks like I should order a couple of different blades to get started. One for resaw work and one for general purpose work (cross cuts, curved cuts and rip cuts) and then add more blades as I get more experience and take on more detailed projects and work with different materials.

Don, I'm with Justin 100% - the Wood slicer 1/2 for resawing is an excellent blade for under $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn Morris View Post
    Thanks for the input. It looks like I should order a couple of different blades to get started. One for resaw work and one for general purpose work (cross cuts, curved cuts and rip cuts) and then add more blades as I get more experience and take on more detailed projects and work with different materials.
    You have the right idea.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night