Thread: "Easing" edges on Flat panel doors

"Easing" edges on Flat panel doors

For those of you who make flat panel doors, how do you "ease" the edges of the inside and outside of the door frame? For example, on Rob's doors and panels http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=145965

Thanks

For 10 years and a thousand flat panel doors, I've done 95% of them like this:
    Inside edges eased with 220 paper on a soft sanding block using a plastic card to protect the panel.

Outside edges 1/8" radius. This small radius greatly hides any future door warping or slight alignment issues, but from across the room looks like a crisp edge. It also greatly improves the durability of the doors and finish (a sharper edge is much more likely to get dinged and compromise the finish). Finally, it is much more comfortable for kids and adults to smash into once in awhile.

But, like most things in woodworking, there is no one answer or one right way to do things all the time.

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 08-27-2010 at 5:01 PM. Reason: attached wrong pic

If you needed it, this might be the perfect excuse to go buy yourself a Lie Nielsen Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane.

I use two very high tech tools.

1. My hand
    2. A piece of used sandpaper

Grasp sandpaper with said hand, rub against sharp edges. The tricky part here is making sure to use the abrasive side of the sandpaper. Sometimes the trick is finding a piece of used sandpaper. Those disks sometimes are trickier than Waldo.

If I'm sanding a round over profile, then I use a orbital.