Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Granite vs Black Marble

Terry,
    Call them on the phone. They may still be in the "stone age" (pun intended) when it comes to electronic communications. They were very responsive and courteous on the phone. I'll purchase from them again for sure.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Granite

Larry,

Finally got a hold of them. Good people. As they mainly deal with the monument / sand blasting folks - their knowledge of using their products in the laser field is extremely limited.

The paints sound like what I've been looking for; but did have questions of the Shadow, HiLite, and the masking paste. They were going to fax me some info on them; as I wondered whether the paste was a better solution for granite / marble than the vinyl masking tape that laser & sandblasting people use. The Shadow and HiLite sound pretty cool for a more natural effect. Have you guys used those and what's your experience with them?

I'm just going to do the silver and red right now. The red I want to try for my Fire Department people when engraving their respective Maltese Crosses for their department.

I'd like to forgo even using the colors and if the HiLite / Shadow produced a nice effect - limit the choices to just those and not mess with the others.

Sometimes we just have to say "No!" to such customization options.

Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

Terry:
    I called them this afternoon about that paste. Lady I spoke to told me it had been discontinued. You might want to research some more masking options.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries

Black Granite

Actually it is fairly simple. Granite in any color is principally crystaline quartz with metallic ions adding color. It is Silicon Dioxide, aka sand with very small interlocked crystals. Therefore Granite is very hard. Granite is not a metamorphic rock like Marble. Marble is Calcium Carbonate, a fairly soft material even in it's hardest state. It is beautiful in all its geologic states. If one wishes to place Marble in the home, even in a well traveled area there should be no significant wear in one's lifetime. Let the next several generations be concerned.
    Follow the beauty as it pulls you in. Travertine is also an attraction. I love rocks and what nature has done in mixing the elements, water, O2, et al. and adding pressure as in marble to re-crystalize the entire mix. Then there is the crystals formed fron the solid solutions over great time.
    I will shut up as this is a favorite thing with me.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

Granite

Larry - I talked with the manager / owner and he didn't say anything about the paste no longer available; but I finally got the vinyl mask that is used for stenciling and stuff for sandblasting. Tried it on a piece of marble and it did great in holding / coming off. If anything; only minor touch-up here and there needed where I probably put my finger in the not quite dry paint.

David - never tried Travertine - although I love it. Got it in my bathroom and it's great. Maybe you can post some pics and provide info to the group on how you do it.

Can't wait till I get the Lithichrome. I'm going to try the Shadow and HiLite they sell as well to see what effects I get. It's almost Craft Fairs for the next 3-4 months and I gotta get some examples going soon.
    Terry L. Swift

"Larry - I talked with the manager / owner and he didn't say anything about the paste no longer available; but I finally got the vinyl mask that is used for stenciling and stuff for sandblasting. Tried it on a piece of marble and it did great in holding / coming off. If anything; only minor touch-up here and there needed where I probably put my finger in the not quite dry paint."

Terry..vinyl is a no no in the laser. Contains PVC.I spoke with a lady about the mask, did they stock?, she checked and said it was discontinued is all I know.

Granite

Larry, Sorry my bad - it should have said polyester mask - like most laser suppliers sell for engraving / stenciling.
    Terry L. Swift

Hello Everyone,
    this is kinda on and off the subject. Where do some of you get your black granite and marble. Currently I only know of two places that carry laser grade granite/marble consistently and the both begin with "Laser". There "ok" but it would be nice to have some alternatives.