Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ifyou were to build a new garage/Shop what would you add to the plans??

I think it is because I HATE TO PAINT that when I designed my dream shop 40x50 I left out any space for finishing! Most of my projects are brush painted so overspray etc are not issues. I do have to do a good cleanup first and wait a day for the dust to settle before painting but it would be nice to have a seperate space. I have always planned to move the DC and Compressor to another space but that has not happened yet. Russ

Retractable dome for those really nice days.

Natural Light

+1 on 10' walls.
    Skylights and windows on east, north & west walls.
    Small porch or awning over the main service door.
    Motion sensing exterior lights.

Wow...can't believe it's been two years since I read this thread starter when it was posted.
    Back then, all I had was desire, ideas, dirt and sagebrush.
    This week the PUD comes in to install a pole and get me off temporary power.
    Today, something tangible exists.

This thread provided some terrific ideas I incorporated into my shop I call PatriotWorks.
    * 2x6 construction 16" on center, insulated slab on grade
    * in-floor heat.
    * 14' ceilings.
    * A paint/varnish area separate from everything else.
    * A toilet, sink, compressor, vacuum pump and rotary phase convertor room.
    * Bifold 12 x12 garage doors.
    * An office allowing me to observe the cnc doing it's thing.
    * A tool room with lighting and a tool grinder to lock up loose valuables and perform niggly work.
    * 400 amp service.
    * PVC gutters and down spouts

The best fun so far was creating bi-fold garage doors for $200.00.
    I work for a building supply house ... my cost was $3500.00 for an installed 12 x12 shop door.
    That seemed pricey to me. I dislike a garage door that covers up the overhead lights when open.
    So...I set about building a bi-fold doors from 2x6's, 1/2 rough sawn plywood, hinges, casters, insulation, hinges, glue, screws and OSB.
    Dammed if they don't work perfect! I get fully insulated doors, I get the use of wall space behind each door, I can open one side or both, and I saved tons of dough.
    The doors have lasted a season and still work perfect.
    IMG_0668.jpgIMG_0522.jpg

The shop is 40 x 49 x 28H.
    All dimensions, windows, steps, pickets and such are divisible by 3, 5 or 7, my favorite numbers.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. ... May your chains set lightly upon you, and posterity forget that you were our countrymen". -- Samuel Adams

If i were building a shop i would make it at least 30X30. I would add running water, pleanty of windows, as many plugs and lights as possible and at least 3 220 plugs and a carriage door for getting sheet goods and large tools in and large projects out. This is what i wish i had right now all I have is a 10 by 20 basment shop with only 2 outlets

A separate room for finishing pieces, half bath, storage above for drying and storing lumber, and a stripper pole.

My detached shop is 24 x 24 with 8' ceilings, overhead door, service door, and one small window. It is well insulated, heated, cooled and has adequate 120 volt outlets along with telephone and cable tv. It has a 100 amp service entrance, but only 1 240 outlet. Interior walls are drywall and there is a storage room that is about 6 x 12.

Changes I would make include 10' ceiling, skylights, better lighting, more 240 outlets, utility sink, 3/4 bath and at least 24 x 36.

Things I wouldn't/couldn't change: drywall, like the looks of it and code requires it in my location, small window--need the wall space and the added security of no large windows, insulation--makes heating and cooling affordable, telephone--safety, cable--didn't think I would find it enjoyable until I tried it, and overhead door--it's well insulated and seals well.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Ceiling height - as much as you can get.