Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Garage Shop

My Garage Shop

I am a new member here at Sawmill Creek and wanted to share my shop with you. Unfortunately I am relegated to 1/2 of a three car garage. It is a little crowded; however, with the best arrangement of my machines I am able to function well. You will note that I have a full dust collection system that I installed before cranking up the shop. For my planer I move the stand out into the center between my workbench and my tablesaw. I unhook my dust collector feed from my router table and route it overhead and connect it to my planer. This will sort of explain why I have such a long feed into my router table. A little bothersome but it works. On my workbench I have a dust collection port that connects to my two palm sanders. Not perfect but it does eliminate most of the sanding dust. I also have a port that goes to a floor sweep input so that I can just sweep the sawdust from the floor to this port.I have worked in this shop for six years and feel that the setup is the best arrangement I could work out.

Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 08-28-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

It looks like you have a thoughtfully layed out shop that would function well!

Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I agreee! Great job on the ducting too...that looks very professional!
    Question: In the alcove on the wall the storage cabinets are on, are those water heaters? Almost looked like single stage dust collectors, but I see you have a cyclone, so they can't be that. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Gordon,

It looks like you have a thoughtfully layed out shop that would function well!

Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Thanks Ken, it is probably the only woodshop I will ever have so I have to make it work.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    Hi Gordon,

Love the shop. Looks to be well laid out and equipped. Looks very clean also. Looks to me to be a great place to work.

I have a garage shop also. It's laid out completely different from yours though. I have a project I'm just finishing and once it's done and out of the way I'll clean the shop and post some pictures.

I wish more guys would post pictures of their shops. Maybe borrow an idea once in a while.

PHM

Sweet set up Gordon.. Looks well thought out.
    Thanks for giving us a look see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I agreee! Great job on the ducting too...that looks very professional!
    Question: In the alcove on the wall the storage cabinets are on, are those water heaters? Almost looked like single stage dust collectors, but I see you have a cyclone, so they can't be that. Jim.
    Thanks for the compliments Jim. The two Grey units that you see are indeed water heaters. I have a large family and when they visit I need two heaters.
    My wife's car gets the one stall and my car is relegated to a carport I built on the side of the 3 car garage.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Hi Gordon,

Love the shop. Looks to be well laid out and equipped. Looks very clean also. Looks to me to be a great place to work.

I have a garage shop also. It's laid out completely different from yours though. I have a project I'm just finishing and once it's done and out of the way I'll clean the shop and post some pictures.

I wish more guys would post pictures of their shops. Maybe borrow an idea once in a while.

PHM
    Look forward to seeing pictures of your shop Paul. Thanks for taking the time to comment on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Sweet set up Gordon.. Looks well thought out.
    Thanks for giving us a look see.
    Thanks Gary, appreciate it.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Welcome!
    Thanks for posting your shop, I also am in "half" of a 3-car garage, although currently I've spread to 100% of it. So was interested in how you're fit in there, nice setup!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Dave, if I spread to the full 100% of the garage I would have to move a small bed out there because I would not be sleeping in the house.

Thanks for your comments.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I have to agree, looks very well thought out. Nice to see you have such a good DC system. You should be proud of it.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    Great space Gordon. Thanks for sharing. I have my cyclone tucked next to the garage door rails as well. Great spot but I couldn't shoe horn in the 3HP so went with the 2HP. Its been great. I also run the scroll saw. Best unit I could find for less than the cost of a good bandsaw . I am sure you spend a lot of enjoyable time in that shop. Thanks for showing us around.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    I have to agree, looks very well thought out. Nice to see you have such a good DC system. You should be proud of it.
    Hey Mike thanks for the compliment. I worked hard at installing the dust collector and all joints are riveted. It works great and sure helps in keeping the garage clean.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Great space Gordon. Thanks for sharing. I have my cyclone tucked next to the garage door rails as well. Great spot but I couldn't shoe horn in the 3HP so went with the 2HP. Its been great. I also run the scroll saw. Best unit I could find for less than the cost of a good bandsaw . I am sure you spend a lot of enjoyable time in that shop. Thanks for showing us around.
    Mine is a 2 HP unit as well and works very well. Course I only open one or two blast gates at a time but this does not pose a problem for me. I have a Long Ranger remote on/off switch and sure glad that I got one.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Nice shop Gordon! The DC system is especially impressive. Love the pics!

Someone should start a "Let's see your shop!" thread to have a collection of all the different shops. I'm always looking at others' shops for ideas to improve my own.... and to oggle the equipment.

C

I think you are a shoe-in for the cleanest shop award.

Very nice - thanks for sharing.