Thread: Chinese Sawmill

Chinese Sawmill

Here's what real men use.

We won't talk about how long they can remain real men before they start losing appendages, but I think it's safe to say this doesn't meet OSHA requirements.

The sawmill and the other implements were somewhere north of Beijing. They were cutting pine timbers with the mill. The table saw and the other piece of equipment (apparently a jointer converted to a tablesaw) were the only other pieces of equipment in evidence. There was also a wood carver working on a sign nearby, but I appear to have deleted that photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Geepers...the hair on the back of my neck is standing up...and I suspect that's quite a sight, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3. Thumbs up

…. In these third world countries where people make pennies a day selling to the top world nations, and we complain about the cost of the products the middleman sure makes out like a bandit. The guy that makes it, not making a thing but a meager existence and the guy that buys it who feels it’s taking his entire budget can stand. Especially in this country, we are spoiled with all the cautions and safety devices. In the third world, low working standards and hazards are a way of life for existence. <O</O

…. Aren’t you thankful to God that we live in the United States where we have so many freedoms of choice!!

<O</O

Boyd
    Quote Originally Posted by John Preston
    Here's what real men use.

We won't talk about how long they can remain real men before they start losing appendages, but I think it's safe to say this doesn't meet OSHA requirements.

The sawmill and the other implements were somewhere north of Beijing. They were cutting pine timbers with the mill. The table saw and the other piece of equipment (apparently a jointer converted to a tablesaw) were the only other pieces of equipment in evidence. There was also a wood carver working on a sign nearby, but I appear to have deleted that photo.
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 12-13-2004 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Removed embedded characters and/or made adjustments and/or adjusted font size.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Very interesting pictures! So if I may ask, was this business or pleasure travel?

Chad
    Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I'm in asia for work, but I was travelling in China on a tourist jaunt. pay rate is $1 per hour there. It's more like 14-15$ in Korea.

OOOOOOOhhhh a vertical band mill. I wonder if you can get decent quarter sawn lumber out of it? It doesn't look any scarier than the big circy mill that the Amish mill uses here in NW Pennsylvania.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

In addition..

Any of you guys remember the old "cut-off" circular saw rig that was belt driven on the early John Deeres? Now that was scary too.

8. Exclamation

…. Yes Bill, I do remember a couple of different arrangements on the tractors. The one that stands out in my mind was attached to the back of the tractor and to the right side with an open and exposed blade and it was driven off the P.T.O. That was a while back .
    <O</O

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White
    Any of you guys remember the old "cut-off" circular saw rig that was belt driven on the early John Deeres? Now that was scary too.
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 12-15-2004 at 2:43 PM. Reason: Removed embedded characters and/or made adjustments and/or adjusted font size.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Makes me feel quilty for complaining ABOUT ANYTHING!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1