Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What else should I get as far as CMS??

Quote Originally Posted by Don Alexander View Post
    there is such a thing as over analyzing things which is what it sounds like you are doing here

+1 for the buy tools as you find you need ability to do things that the tools you have don't work well for; buy quality tools and blades and you will find that all those little complaints most folks have with stuff like deflection of blades on a CMS will not be an issue the 2 things that result in deflection most often are dull blades and forcing the saw through the cut and often both at at the same time.

with a RAs and a 10" CMS move on to other tools with different capabilities you've got the crosscut thing well covered already

just my 2 cents HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Don,

You've got to realize that for some folks over analyzing is a hobby of its own. Nothing wrong with that, and engineers just can't help themselves. That's why they became engineers.

I can't wait until the OP decides to acually build something and has to select wood.
    While over-analyzing is a "hobby" of mine as mentioned, that's not what I am doing here, what I am doing here is extreme over-preparedness. I want to have an exact plan laid out on paper so I can keep my eyes peeled for good deals on the tools that I get recommendations from, from you guys.

And I will have no problem picking out wood, I have done lots of building and remodeling for 25 years. I can see where you are coming from, but I am bipolar, and can adjust as need be. I have my engineer side, and my hands-on technician side. Right now is just the planning stage so I can be analytical and over prepared...but when the time comes to actually cough up the money, I may have an epiphany and ask myself...Do I REALLY need this...then I will respond, Of course you do, everyone needs one of these, plus it is on the plan, you CANNOT veer from the plan.

Yes, things like that actually go through my mind, conversing with myself. Shoulda seen me in one of my English classes that they wouldn't let me test out of I was literally having a 3 way conversation aloud (but in a whispering tone) with myself in the back corner of the room while the professor was lecturing. It was pretty crazy.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the advice and comments I get from you guys, every little piece adds up and will be very valuable in the future when I put everything together. I'm sorry if I have some redundant (irritating) questions. But you also gotta realize you guys are the closest thing to friends that I have left, so this is my strive for conversation with people of similar interests as me. I have ditched all of my real life friends one by one cuz they use and use and use me and I keep bending over backwards to help them any way that I can, then when I needed a little help they were nowhere to be found and I eventually say enough is enough, and shut them out of my life...So you guys get to deal with me now. Maybe so I don't over-agitate you guys, I should migrate back to one of my other forums for a while, then drift back and forth after a while.
    Eric Wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wheeler View Post
    While over-analyzing is a "hobby" of mine as mentioned, that's not what I am doing here, what I am doing here is extreme over-preparedness. I want to have an exact plan laid out on paper so I can keep my eyes peeled for good deals on the tools that I get recommendations from, from you guys.

And I will have no problem picking out wood, I have done lots of building and remodeling for 25 years. I can see where you are coming from, but I am bipolar, and can adjust as need be. I have my engineer side, and my hands-on technician side. Right now is just the planning stage so I can be analytical and over prepared...but when the time comes to actually cough up the money, I may have an epiphany and ask myself...Do I REALLY need this...then I will respond, Of course you do, everyone needs one of these, plus it is on the plan, you CANNOT veer from the plan.

Yes, things like that actually go through my mind, conversing with myself. Shoulda seen me in one of my English classes that they wouldn't let me test out of I was literally having a 3 way conversation aloud (but in a whispering tone) with myself in the back corner of the room while the professor was lecturing. It was pretty crazy.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the advice and comments I get from you guys, every little piece adds up and will be very valuable in the future when I put everything together. I'm sorry if I have some redundant (irritating) questions. But you also gotta realize you guys are the closest thing to friends that I have left, so this is my strive for conversation with people of similar interests as me. I have ditched all of my real life friends one by one cuz they use and use and use me and I keep bending over backwards to help them any way that I can, then when I needed a little help they were nowhere to be found and I eventually say enough is enough, and shut them out of my life...So you guys get to deal with me now. Maybe so I don't over-agitate you guys, I should migrate back to one of my other forums for a while, then drift back and forth after a while.

Ok, I didn't realize how sappy that sounds before I sent it, I didn't mean it in that kind of way at all, it is just boredom rambling on and on. You're lucky I haven't been drinking, cuz then it would very likely be more like a book of rambling
    Eric Wheeler

Maybe so I don't over-agitate you guys ...
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not the least bit agitated. This is exactly the type of conversation I have with my real life friends. Of course, that might not say much for me and my friends, but I'm having fun.

BTW - seriously - a track saw should be on your short list if you are going to work with sheet goods. I have a DeWalt and Festool (the smaller one) and both are excellent. If you are going to do a lot of cabinets, like redoing a kitchen, the Festool parallel guides are a real time saver.

I really believe that spending more money for fewer quality tools, rather than having more, mediocre tools is the way to go. And, that way you can get by with a smaller spread sheet.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not the least bit agitated. This is exactly the type of conversation I have with my real life friends. Of course, that might not say much for me and my friends, but I'm having fun.

BTW - seriously - a track saw should be on your short list if you are going to work with sheet goods. I have a DeWalt and Festool (the smaller one) and both are excellent. If you are going to do a lot of cabinets, like redoing a kitchen, the Festool parallel guides are a real time saver.

I really believe that spending more money for fewer quality tools, rather than having more, mediocre tools is the way to go. And, that way you can get by with a smaller spread sheet.
    Well, track saw is on the list for sure, but it wasn't on the near future list. And I buy nothing but quality. Even though there may be something marginally better, I have EXTREME brand loyalty...and DeWalt is at the top of my list...in which I literally want one or more of EVERY type of tool they make...and want my portable setup to be DeWalt. Then affiliates rank right next to each other, so naturally Delta is on the top for shop equipment, and Porter Cable for most of the shop hand power tools like routers and drills, etc. Again, someone else may make a better router, where someone else makes the best sander, etc. But I like my stuff to "match" and I have loyalty like I said.

As far as the agitating, I'm sort of surprised, it usually doesn't take long...I don't think it has been quite long enough here yet, but I don't wanna go over the edge yet. Usually people get irritated because they don't quite understand what I am trying to say...mostly cuz I have a hard time explaining it in normal words, rather than college terms and such, but still, I am almost hated in another forum over a huge misunderstanding (and an inordinate number of very negative members) So I just want to tread lightly and not get that rep here...So I'll try to slow down the questions for a while.
    Eric Wheeler

Eric,

You really need to drop the brand loyalty. A year or two ago Black and Decker started repositioning their brands. The plan is to have DeWalt as the profession brand, Porter Cable a value brand and Black and Decker the low end homeowner brand. Stanley has since bought or merged with Black and Decker and seem to be continuing in that direction. So while you may want to be loyal to the brands, the brands are not going to be loyal to you. If you want your tools to all look like DeWalt, buy a bunch of yellow paint, but evaluate each tool for what it is, not for the name stamped on it.

The DeWalt track saw is IMHO going to do as good a job as the Festool. But would you really get the DeWalt if you were going to be doing work where the Festool parallel guides would make the job much easier. If that's the case, just do a global search on Craig's List for DeWalt.

If you're dead set on the DeWalt track saw, you can still get the cordless at Tools-Plus for $240 with 2 batteries and no tracks. Add a 59" track for $80 and get a $50 rebate from DeWalt.

Usually people get irritated because they don't quite understand what I am trying to say...mostly cuz I have a hard time explaining it in normal words, rather than college terms and such,
    You would be surprised at how many of us have advanced degrees and are perfectly at home with "college terms and such"
    so don't hold back...

Welcome to the forum

no irritation here either but i do realise i sound like that in print sometimes

Ok, I didn't realize how sappy that sounds before I sent it, I didn't mean it in that kind of way at all, it is just boredom rambling on and on. You're lucky I haven't been drinking, cuz then it would very likely be more like a book of rambling
    Isn't that the definition of a BLOG?

Eric, regardless of which forum you discuss your "miter saw concerns", you will find only a few who share your concern with your level of committment. Woodworking is not nearly as scientific an endeavor as you wish to quantify. Exact results cannot be repeated with all specimens of a given make and model chop saw or slider. Some are keepers; some are lemons. Which particular unit of a recommended brand/model will you happen to grab off of CL or theBay?? Hmm... Now you can add paranoia to your obcessive tendencies.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Eric,

You really need to drop the brand loyalty. A year or two ago Black and Decker started repositioning their brands. The plan is to have DeWalt as the profession brand, Porter Cable a value brand and Black and Decker the low end homeowner brand. Stanley has since bought or merged with Black and Decker and seem to be continuing in that direction. So while you may want to be loyal to the brands, the brands are not going to be loyal to you. If you want your tools to all look like DeWalt, buy a bunch of yellow paint, but evaluate each tool for what it is, not for the name stamped on it.
    I didn't know that. Also, I never cared for Porter Cable products in the past, but found out they were affiliated so I took a liking to them, even though I never tried one since I found out. Its sort of like having a hot step sister or something...you kinda feel like you gotta take a liking to them. Also, I prolly never would've been real keen on the PC hand tools had I not been browsing the Delta/PC website and see that Delta doesn't even make a band saw and a few other things, I think drill press, and others are all PC, so if I were to buy everything new, I'd have a mixture of Delta/PC and so I leaned in that direction on my wish list to have the PC instead of DeWalt tools in the shop since PC would be present anyway. But I guess since as of now I am shopping in the used market, I should be able to find everything in Delta and not PC, and since the older stuff is of quality, and the amount of use they'll actually see out of me, the used stuff will prolly last my lifetime of wood working, and thus I can avoid the PC brand. Plus now I have the DeWalt RAS, so I've been contemplating that as well, how can the RAS be the only DeWalt in my shop??

I know I may be crazy, but its not the yellow paint that has to make the tools match, it's just OCD knowing all my tools are the same brand/affiliate. I don't know why...I find a tool I like better than any other brand that makes it, and then get it stuck in my head that EVERY tool they make must be better than anything these other brands I looked at makes. I don't know why that is, it's just weird...It works in reverse too. If I use a tool and feel it is a POS, I ultimately avoid that brand for the rest of my life. In reality I know this may not be true, but in my own little world it makes me happy. When I found out DeWalt was owned by B&D, I started to shy away from them...I heard a couple guys talking and they mentioned that BD bought out DeWalt, so those tools are prolly gonna go to shhhhhh...And I jumped right on the bandwagon and felt the same. Then after a bit of research I found that while BD DID buy DeWalt, it was YEARS ago, and so every DeWalt tool I have ever used and fell in love with was infact a BD-DeWalt and came back around to putting them back on their pedestal in my head.
    Eric Wheeler

Delta does in fact have a bandsaw in their lineup - DELTA 28-206 Professional

They have a number of drill presses. I think only the first one is a PC

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...Path=4272.5148

Smile Well, if you want something really accurate and durable

I don't have a TS yet, but am looking into them. And of course, looking for quality...I don't have room for junk. I have been looking at a bunch of older Delta TS. I am just trying to get a feel for what I need (or would like, etc) as far as versatility in miter cuts and such.
    http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm.

Of course there's this:
    NO. 4 NORTHFIELD TILTING ARBOR VARIETY SAW (standard) equipped with 5 HP heavy duty 3,600 RPM TEFC
    arbor motor – magnetic starter with 110 volt at push button; plain table 35" x 44" – 191/2" rip gauge extension – 32"
    rip capacity rack and pinion fence (32" capacity with double face box type fence) two dovetailed 60°-0°-60° mitre
    gauges – filler strips – 11/8" arbor standard (1" or 11/4" optional – advise) (16" saw projects 4"; 18" saw 5") metal throat
    plate. 16" Lexan guard, Warner electric brake.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 12,960.00
    Approximate shipping weight – lbs. 1,800 (2,000 Exp. 92 cu. ft.)

And it doesn't even have a blade brake

Delta does in fact have a bandsaw in their lineup - DELTA 28-206 Professional

They have a number of drill presses. I think only the first one is a PC

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...Path=4272.5148
    Ok I checked my wish list file. And it was Band saw and scroll saw, and drill press. The period of time I was browsing their site they must have been updating because there is both a Delta band saw and scroll saw on the site, now; as well as a lineup of drill presses. So PC is officially wiped off of my list, except some really cool things that DeWalt or Delta doesn't make. Like the drywall sander that hooks to a vacuum/DC looks quite appealing, etc. But Dovetail Jig there is only a PC...
    Last edited by Eric Wheeler; 08-31-2010 at 9:33 AM.
    Eric Wheeler

Nothing worse than an out of date spreadsheet.

Nothing worse than an out of date spreadsheet.

Tell me about it...I am in the process of updating as we speak
    Eric Wheeler