Thread: News flash

News flash

Of local interest and to the woe of chocolate lovers everywhere.
    As of noon today there is a tractor trailer fully loaded with chocolate several hundred feet down the cliff at Cadillac curve.
    There are a few on here who have traveled highway 4 over Ebbetts pass. Cadillac curve is a steep drop of probably 1000 ft on a narrow road with no guard rail.
    The driver is fine as the truck teetered long enough for him to decide he needed to vacate.
    Info has it he followed a company GPS system. So much for technology, signs clearly posted for 30 miles "semis not recommended"
    I would not care to be on the crew cleaning this mess up.

http://thepinetree.com/index.php?mod...w&ANN_id=19206
    Last edited by Charlie Reals; 08-23-2010 at 6:35 PM.

We used to make that drive every fall to see the Aspens in color, and wouldn't even want to try a small trailer over it. Glad the driver is OK, shame about the chocolate. People need to learn that the GPS is not always right, I suppose once committed turning around is not an option on that road either.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

No pics, didn't happen. Usually I reserve that comment for gloats, but in this case, I can't stand the thought of the tradgedy...so I'm pretending it didn't happen.

I think I'll volunteer to help clean up, though.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Yep he was committed at least 15 miles before that curve,as you know Joe, that road is almost a one lane in a lot of spots. And mike, I love chocolate butt not that much lol. I am trying to find someone with a pic as I want to see this too buut not enough to drive up there. Maybe the bears will go for the chocolate and leave our garbage cans alone. Not! The slope he went down is boulder strown so what a mess.

I'm glad the driver is ok, but deeply saddened by the thought of so much glorious chocolate potentially being lost...oh, my...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

one of the funniest traffic moments i've seen was similar to this. when i moved up here to arkansas from new orleans i came up on a jam up at an overpass, after sitting a few minutes i got out and walked up to the state trooper there to see what the holdup was (they were blocking the ramp down).

he pointed and shook his head. it was a butter truck. overturned in 100 degree heat. butter as far as the eye could see. about the time he pointed the two cops trying to help the driver get out of the truck both slipped and fell. one's response was "screw this, i didn't go through the military then the police academy for clean up on aisle three". the cop on the overpass thought it was funny, though .

update

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27554
    One tree save a lot of clean up and Mike it took awhile cause we be in the boonies butt the pic got over the hill lmao. I met the swift driver last year (He wasn't swift at all) and he had messed his skivvies on this one. I bet this driver messed allover his cab and maybe the road as he was crawling away. I hate that curve going east if I am on the passenger side.
    Charlie

I would say inexperience and overconfidence caused that accident.
    I and a few other drivers where I work are on truck restricted routes every week delivering to homeowner job sites with 75' (or longer) trucks. It is common for us to be in very tight situations, sometimes with just an inch or two of clearance when turning. In those conditions, especially when backing, you can't just put it in reverse and go. It isn't uncommon for me to back up 2 or 3 feet and get out and look several times. If I'm blocking traffic, that's too bad. I won't hit something (or drive off a cliff ) just because someone is in a hurry. I doubt that the driver of the wrecked truck did that.
    Last edited by David Freed; 09-01-2010 at 4:46 AM.