Thread: Festool MFT Question(s)

Festool MFT Question(s)

Folks,

I am digging into the specs on the MFT and I recall someone posting here of a US company making extruded parts (aluminum?) that might allow one to make their own version of Festool's MFT.

I cannot find the thread so if someone would be so kind as to post the name of the company again, I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris --

Is www.8020.net what you're looking for? McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) is a convenient distributor for at least some of the line.

Jamie

Bingo! Thanks, Jamie!

Chris ---

Here's a question for you (or maybe a little bit of a challenge). Why are you building this thing out of metal? You're a woodworker!

You know a great deal about making things out of wood. You have a shop full of tools for manipulating wood. So why not make this device out of wood?

To be a little less flip... There may be a few parts of this device which are functionally required to be metal -- ball bearings or something. But I'll bet that most of this device could be wood. Festool builds the device from metal and plastic because that's what their factories are accustomed to using. You're not a Festool factory. You're a woodworker in a woodshop. You're set up to build things in wood. As long as you're re-engineering the thing so you can build it yourself, why not use the tools and skills you have?

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

A fair question/challenge! I'm glad you asked it.

I see my wife's tastes more in the modern era and unfortunately for me, that usually means a mixture of wood and metal! I figure I better get comfortable with it. She REALLY likes Mark's bed/nightstand design (hint, hint).

Mostly, I think, Jamie, I would build this from metal for speed's sake. Also, I think I'd like something easy to put away and reasonably portable. That is why I got to staring at the MFT in the first place.

At the rate I'm going with my garage, I ought to about have it done AND ready (you know, more cabinets, storage, and such) just about the time my wife files for divorce!

I mean, get this, she thinks I just actually like to buy tools and not actually make anything with them! Sigh.... She has also added up what I've spent on tools (that she knows about) and came away with the fact that she could have outfitted/decorated the whole house and been done. I guess she doesn't want to wait 10 years to have a finished decor to the house....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Mostly, I think, Jamie, I would build this from metal for speed's sake.

hmmm... so if I asked you to build me a dining table, it would be quicker for you to build it from metal instead of wood?....

Folks,

I am digging into the specs on the MFT and I recall someone posting here of a US company making extruded parts (aluminum?) that might allow one to make their own version of Festool's MFT.

I cannot find the thread so if someone would be so kind as to post the name of the company again, I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks
    Chris,

I posted my version of the MFT made from 8020. Well guess what I have gone and done? Bought an MFT. Two things to keep in mind. Building from 8020 will cost more, unless you already have access to the stuff (I did), and you won't have a miter fence, guide rail, and hinged mount for the guide rail. Oh, yeah. You'll need to make an MDF top, too. Save your time and money and get the real thing. To get all the benefits of the MFT in a homemade version just ain't gonna happen very easily. I love the thing (metal and all, Jamie).

I now use my old version mainly for assembly and I also made a hinged 'wing' to clamp panels on an angle. Long story and I won't bore anyone with it but it did what I wanted.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for posting...I think I will go ahead and get the MFT. With Festool's 15% off a 5-tool purchase + free shipping, the wife is somehow giving me the green light to go a bit wild and really outfit myself. I'm ordering probably just after Christmas to put off the credit card payment to Feb. It'll be a very Happy New Year in my garage!

Greg,

Thanks for posting...I think I will go ahead and get the MFT. With Festool's 15% off a 5-tool purchase + free shipping, the wife is somehow giving me the green light to go a bit wild and really outfit myself. I'm ordering probably just after Christmas to put off the credit card payment to Feb. It'll be a very Happy New Year in my garage!
    I don't think you'll be sorry. So you want the table and you found a way to turn it into a five tool deal, eh? I could learn from you! Let's see, you need the ATF 55 (or 65) to really benefit from the guiderail setup, and of course, a router to run along that thing too. The jigsaws are primo. Gonna do any 32mm shelves for your garage walls? You have a 150/ES so I would opt for the TDK, or do I remember that you already have that? Oh heck, you can pick out the 5th tool yourself.

Greg