Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to get rip chains?

Ya see, Fred? Ya see? Pictures I tell ya...they say more than 1000 words! That is exactly what I was trying to explain. The one on the far left (in the drawing) is the safety chain that I generally use. The middle one is the one I have now designated as my lathe blank cutting chain. I don't have, don't plan to have, and don't need the one on the right. I, too, am experienced in cutting wood, I just never knew this much about chains... Thanks for the pics, info and clarification. Again, I love this place.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    I don't have, don't plan to have, and don't need the one on the right.
    And, you are also saving yourself the rigors of sharpening a full square chisel chain. Something that you wouldn't want to tackle until you are very proficient with round and semi-chisel chain.

Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

I know Oregon used to sell a rip tooth chain, and may still; I found that it ripped a bit faster than the regular chain I was using, not unlike the advantage of a ripping blade on a table saw. But a square tooth chain is a great improvement over a round tooth and if you don't like changing chains is probably good enough unless all you're doing if rip cutting.

Oops, Fred, I replied to this post but I seem to have done it after one of your other posts. Sorry. Here's what I said:

Ya see, Fred? Ya see? Pictures I tell ya...they say more than 1000 words! That is exactly what I was trying to explain. The one on the far left (in the drawing) is the safety chain that I generally use. The middle one is the one I have now designated as my lathe blank cutting chain. I don't have, don't plan to have, and don't need the one on the right. I, too, am experienced in cutting wood, I just never knew this much about chains... Thanks for the pics, info and clarification. Again, I love this place.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Weight of cants

Ummmm, what kinda wood is that? For those boys to be carrying those be pieces, they must not be that dense? Right?
    Mike:
    The cants weigh more than the little guys carrying them. Most of our woods wont float. To make it worse they come out laughing and joking and run back for the next one. I have a hard time lifting one end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim King View Post
    Mike:
    The cants weigh more than the little guys carrying them. Most of our woods wont float. To make it worse they come out laughing and joking and run back for the next one. I have a hard time lifting one end.
    Looks like the ears of your chainsawyers are extra tough too. Most Westerners would be stone deaf after a year of doing that without hearing protection.

Neil

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Neil, your D-KE sig is priceless. My wife loves it, BTW...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Neil, your D-KE sig is priceless. My wife loves it, BTW...
    What can I say, Mike.... let's drink to the D-KE...

Neil