Thread: screwdriver shanks

screwdriver shanks

Hi all,

I'm looking for a nice set of screwdriver shanks that I can make a custom handle for gifts. Lee Valley used to carry them, but their website says they are no longer available. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for the help

Rich

I buy 1/4" hex shank screwdriver extension bit holders off the auction site. I make the handle and epoxy the hex end into a 1/4 drilled hole. Along with a double ended Phillips and flat screwdriver bit makes a set.
    IMG_0264_640x480.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Noterman View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a nice set of screwdriver shanks that I can make a custom handle for gifts. Lee Valley used to carry them, but their website says they are no longer available. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for the help

Rich
    I bought a couple of these and helped kids make presents for parents.
    https://www.chefwarekits.com/woodtur...rning-kit.html

Alex_presents_2017.jpg Alex_presents_CU_IMG_7333.jpg

JKJ

I buy cheap plastic handled 4 in one or 6 in one, depending on how you count, from Menards when they are on sale for $2 and sometimes $1. I turn off the plastic to salvage the hex holder. Turn a wood handle, glue in the holder, and reuse all of the screw driver parts.

I have also bought small sets of hex holders with a handful of small bits. Turn a handle similar to Marvin's. Hollow it. Insert a trim screw in the center with length that just comes to the opening. Turn a cover with a magnet that catches the screw. Store the bits in the hollowed out handle and you have a nice gift. Hope that is clear enough.

I purchase 6-in-1 screwdrivers at Home Depot. See at https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-3-1-...D12D/100137978. Remove plastic handle. Salvage all metal parts. Turn wood handle. Mount salvaged metal parts in wood handle. You are done. - John

This was also a favorite for a lot of people. I gave these to people as thank you gifts at Christmas. A few years ago my mechanic went crazy over his, he had 4 mechanics working for him, I gave each of them a set. Today I still get preferential treatment when I show up.

IMG_0270_640x480.JPG

7. Also Harbor Freight for the 6-in-1 drivers. Dirt cheap at their tent sales and promo's. I just turn off the plastic handles.